Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non-Stabilized chlorine tabs

1. Back To Top    #1

Non-Stabilized chlorine tabs

Does any one know where to get these , I need something in my chlorinator when I am away. I can't ask my neighbors to watch my pool and don't ever want to come home to a green pool again. Any advice or opinions are welcomed
    22.000 Inground Vinyl-2 years old
    Hayward EC75 DE Filter
    1 1/2 Superpump
    CL200 Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Non-Stabilized chlorine tabs

My mistake, I looked it up and they are stabilized.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

There are no non-stabilized tabs. Cal hypo is a different product that isn't suited for use in an erosion feeder because it dissolves too easily, and can violently react if used in a feeder that has been used for other forms of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Sustain makes cal-hypo based tabs in a plastic shell to adjust the feed rate. They are designed to go into the skimmer basket. There are also the encapsulated cal-hypo that look like a giant horse pill that can go into the skimmer as well.

and there is also this thing which I found and have personally never seen it in action.

http://www.intheswim.com/Commercial-Pro ... et-Feeder/
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

denpending on how long you are away for boosting FC up by 5-6ppm from my target level with bleach and then covering the pool with the solar cover seems to do the trick for me...I ussually lose 1-2ppm per day with the cover on.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

How often are you gone and for how long each time? I'm almost never gone more than a week, maybe 4 times a year. At that pace, using 3-4 tabs to keep the FC up each time is not going to cause a CYA problem. Unless your CYA is already over the top.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

I recently went on a 4 day trip to Denver (Mon-Thurs). Sunday night I took FC up to shock level (13ppm) and when I came home (late Thurs) I was as at 5ppm. My range is 2-6 w/ CYA = 30.
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

8. Back To Top    #8

I am away for a week three or four times a summer. I run up the FC before I leave and throw in a floater full of pucks. I keep an eye on the CYA (adjust FC or drain if necessary) and I never have a problem. If I travel for two weeks I fire up the in-line puck feeder and ask a neighbor to throw in the pre-loaded floater after the first week. I like the floater because I can take it out as soon as I return to minimize CYA boost. There is nothing wrong with trichlor if you know what you are doing.

I also have a water-leveler for the longer trips. [I did have a problem when hurricane Floyd hit while I was in Canada. The power went off so the sump pump did not work in the equipment pit and the power then came back on while the filter was under water. So one dead pump motor.]
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.