Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you detect algae early on?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you detect algae early on?

I just beat the early stages of an algae bloom. I knew it was algae by a slight sliminess on the liner, cloudy water and higher than normal chlorine consumption. This was caused by me going on a small vacation, superchlorinating and leaving the solar cover on, which I assume did not allow the pool to oxidate properly. I have since superchlorinated and scrubbed and my pool is sparkling clean however my question now is:

My numbers were perfect prior to superchlorinating, yet the pool was cloudy, is there anything in the test kits that signify algae in its early stages or is it "Becoming one with your pool" that nips it in the butt? In this case it was the later.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you detect algae early on?

Primarily the cloudiness and excess chlorine consumption. You often can sea the algae starting from chemistry alone.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I think that I read on here before that water becoming dull looking is something to watch out for. You had no CC's before you left?
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. I had no CCs before or after. I just noticed something didn't seem right since I returned. It slowly got worse each day for two weeks before it was obvious. It never looked terrible....just not crisp and once the slimeness started, I knew what I had to do.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I think your question is a very good one that we don't discuss very often. Primarily because we are normally discussing full-blown algae blooms.

Probably knowing the conditions under which algae might be given a foot hold would be the first thing to be aware of. Long periods without chlorination is a sure "heads up".

Since we all pretty much know the above, I would think excessive chlorine consumption would be the next indicator. That would mean you have to monitor your chlorine pretty precisely (which I don't do ) but would be a pretty sure fire way you know something is in your pool.

Probably the best indicator is what Craig already alluded to......he is aware of his pool. After a few seasons under your belt, that "becoming as one with your pool...Aaahmmm!" really does work and you simply develop a sense for what your pool needs.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I thought that would be the answer.

It just stinks to have all tests point to perfect and yet see and sense something wrong.
    -Hayward H 250 Heater