Chemical safety

ABC12

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
First time adding chemicals. Is there a post that reviews the safe ways to handle, store, measure all my chemicals?

Anything specific to 31% MA? (Also is 31% the same as 29% in PoolMath app for measuring purposes?)

Wear gloves? Masks?

We talk about it some here: Pool School - Re: Pool School Pool Safety

The big one for MA is to not add at the same time as chlorine/bleach. Of course it's volatile, so be mindful of the wind (vapors) and splashing to the skin and eyes. Add very slowly near a good flowing return jet and brush if needed to help get it around. It can be stored outside in a shed type container, just make sure to store it away from metals or any other products as it is very corrosive.

I would actually encourage NOT wearing gloves and a mask with MA. Splashing MA on your hands is very unlikely to cause any damage as long as it is rinsed off relatively quickly. As far as a mask, your nose is the first to warn you if MA vapors are heading towards your face. MA vapors are very noticeable well below the dangerous level, if you get a whiff of them then you know to change where you are positioned and stop breathing in until you do. If you can't smell it then you could end up standing in a bad spot too long and end up irritating your eyes from the exposure.

One of the most mind boggling threads I recall reading is about someone who wore a mask, gloves, goggles, and apron to pour MA and still managed to gas himself and ended up going to an ENT doc. His sense of safety caused him to stop being careful and he didn't seat his mask correctly and because he assumed he was safe deeply breathed in fumes.

Just be mindful of what you are working with and the wind direction. Pool chemicals are not overly dangerous and an ounce of common sense and awareness can prevent almost any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.