First Time SLAM

The first SLAM is always the toughest, because you don't know what to expect and the advice here is exactly counter to that of the "experts" at the pool supply store.

When you pass the 3 criteria, get yourself a timer that can control when the filter trips on and off, even before you look into a variable speed pump. The pump has to be running only a fraction of what you are probably running it now.

Most of the pool $tore bags are just high cost repacked chems that you can get elsewhere cheaper.
They do it at the home improvement stores, too. When I was buying 10% chlorine this weekend for my SLAM I saw the muriatic acid next to it but luckily checked the label. I had to go to a different section of the store (paints) to get the higher concentrated MA for less money (generic vs. pool label)--same store!

Went home at lunch and vacuumed all of the shallow end and half way around on the deep end. Ran out of time. I still pulled out a good handful of leaves and worms from part of the deep end.

When vacuuming the shallow end I could just make out the head of the vac. As I worked right to left in the shallow end I noticed the right side was a faint blue where the vac ran and the left side was a faint brown. I would say getting the dead algae out out of the pool should start to really help. I am on day 4 of my slam.

My FC dropped from 12 to 11. I added a little bleach to the pool grabbed a sandwich and back to work.

I wish I would have taken a close up picture of where I started. Only picture I have is from a distance.

The first SLAM is always the toughest, because you don't know what to expect and the advice here is exactly counter to that of the "experts" at the pool supply store.

When you pass the 3 criteria, get yourself a timer that can control when the filter trips on and off, even before you look into a variable speed pump. The pump has to be running only a fraction of what you are probably running it now.

I installed a Intermatic timer so I am all ready to go.

What really makes me kick my self is I literally watched my pool turn green.But I really drug my feet on what test kit I wanted and how I was going to approach the chemicals in my pool. Next year I wlil get my chems going before this happens.

If you go back and read old posts its the same stories over and over again.

Just a thought, but I don't think back washing your filter for 1 minute is going to be effective. Does the sight glass clear up in that little of time? I usually backwash for at least 3 minutes or longer and then rinse the same amount of time. After your slam, try to time your backwash to when you need to drain some water after a rain.

Alwayswantedapool,

I was thinking about that last night when I was going to bed. I wonder if I am back washing long enough. Didn't even think about the rinse cycle being longer. I only rinse for about 10 seconds.

Honestly its hard for me to tell because my water is still a little foggy. I posted a link to my sand filter below. I guess I am a little confused as to when I should back wash. My normal pressure from day 1 was 11 psi. Typically when it gets up to 14 or 15 psi I will back wash then it drops back down to 11 psi.

right now when I vacuum the pool I think I am getting alot of dead algae because my pressure will jump up to 25 - 30 psi and I have little to no flow. I then stop and backwash to clear it up. I am wondering if I should vacuum to waste next time?

We are predicted to get 1 inch of rain on Friday / Saturday so Sunday.

You are being redirected...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This has been my routine almost all week.

Wake up, check filter pressure, get a water sample, brush pool, test water while kids are eating breakfast, add necessary bleach.

Lunch break. get water sample, Vacuum as much of the pool as I can and a quick brushing. Test water and add bleach if needed.

After work. Clean skimmer baskets, vacuum, brush, test water, after kids go to bed brush pool again, test water, add bleach and brush one more time before calling it a night.

My shallow end I can see the brush head and even see brown material pushed up when I brush. My deepend I can see down about the same distance. At night when I turn the light on I still see lots of suspended brown material.

I feed like I am so close, but its just not clearing.

Any suggestions on adding a small amount of DE to my sand filter?
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
But this is something that should only be used near the end of the SLAM, only to help with water clarity if it's struggling. The SLAM itself, clearing heavy cloudiness, and passing the OCLT should be first.

It seems like I have hit a road block. My water will not clear up. Its still an aqua blue/green.

When I test my FC I am rarely dropping from 12 ppm. I am brushing 3 - 4 times a day and vacuuming at least once. Something that I have noticed about my sand filter is after I backwash it can run all night and day and not even move off of 12 psi unless I am vacuuming.

I decided to go get some DE and add it to my filter. I added it in 1/4 cup increments. The first time I added it I added up to 1 cup and I had to back wash within 1 hour of adding it. After I back washed I added 1/2 cup and it ran all afternoon Saturday, Saturday night and almost all day Sunday. Sunday night around 9:00pm I finally back washed because I was 10 psi over my normal. The whole time Saturday/Sunday my psi slowly raising.

My theory is the filter is running longer and catching smaller particles. Any thoughts on this? very frustrating.

It seems like I have hit a road block. My water will not clear up.
Generally when someone feels like their pool has "stalled" it points to a the following scenarios:
- The chemistry is a off a little
- There is a spot in the pool where some algae is hiding
- Patience; simply more time for the filter to do its thing

In regards to the first two, I would first consider double checking your CYA just to make sure you are still seeing a number you had before. I doubt you added anymore stabilizer since starting the SLAM, but it's still good to make sure there is no doubt about your CYA number. If after checking, if you felt the CYA was actually a little higher than 30 for example, then perhaps a CYA of 40 is more applicable which of course would require a higher SLAM FC level of 16. So that's something to consider. Hiding spots in pools catch many off guard. If you have steps or a ladder, try to remove them if you can, dismantle and inspect closely. If you have a light, try to remove it and look behind. Even under the skimmer lid I've seen algae hiding. Just highlighting in case any of these apply to you. If all of those are good, and you are doing all the SLAM chores (which it sounds as if you are), then your pool simply needs more time to filter-out all the dead algae. That's another reason why the pump must run 24/7. This final waiting period is generally the hardest part. Have you been taking pics each day of your pool? That helps a lot of people so they can see the changes better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.