Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool - Upstate NY

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - Upstate NY

The wife and I finally pulled the trigger on a pool. We are really looking forward to getting this thing started! It is mountain pond shaped, approximately 20 (22 at widest) by 39'11". It is the poly i-beam and vinyl liner. Total volume is 23000 gallons. We were quoted with the following equipment and wanted to make sure the components were sufficient. Thanks for all of the anticipated help in advance!

SD-80 filter with Whisper Flo 1.5 HP Pump
    IC-40 EZ Touch with screen logic 2

If you have any other questions that would help you assess please let me know.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - Upstate NY

HI!!! What a fun but scary time for your family!

I would love to see the design and where the pool will be going!

Can you help me with the filter and pump? When I do a search for what you have listed I get general info that does not narrow it down to which one you will be getting. What kind of filter is it? How big? Is the pump 1, 2 or variable speed? Model numbers would be nice.

Will you have any water features?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

s,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your new pool build questions...

There are many different models of the EasyTouch... I would recommend that you do not buy the "Lite" version units.. They will have an "L" in the model number, such as PL4 or PSL4...

Just like "lite" salad dressing, they just don't taste right... They do not come with a load center for all your circuit breakers.. They only allow 4 programs max.. They only have one feature circuit.

The lite version will work, as long as you know the limitations before buying...

No matter which version of the ET you get, ScreenLogic2 is a must have... It will make using and programming the ET about 10 x easier.

I am not a fan of single speed pool pumps.. They just cost too much to run.. I suggest you look at upgrading to a 2-speed pump. You would also have to buy a 2-speed relay for your ET, but you will make up for that cost with electrical savings...

How do you plan to chlorinate your pool?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4 (now 8), IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is the proposed drawing and a few photos of our yard. Pool stuff - Album on Imgur

The WhisperFlo is in fact the single speed model and 1.5 Horsepower. I have solar that will cover the usage. Would you still suggest a two speed?

Chlorination will be from the Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorine Generator - IC-40.

The filter is the Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 with glass media.

I will verify the Easytouch but I am almost certain it is the full version. Thanks for the heads up.

The lights are Pentair Intellibrite 5G.

I hope that works for model numbers...it's all I can locate.

All plumbing will be Rigid PVC, I have sandy conditions and this was recommended in case of termites. All plumbing is schedule 80 with Heavy Duty "Praher" ball valves. Two skimmers with separate 2" ball valves, dual bottom drains with 2" valve, 6 clean water returns with 3 1.5" ball valves. A bypass system (3 valves) will be plumbed for future heat pump considerations. I am also having a water line run for a future slide.

I am doing cantilevered concrete but have not decided on a full patio design yet.

Please keep the questions coming! It's making me think .

5. Back To Top    #5

s,

If the EasyTouch you are getting has the built-in SWCG power supply, and is coming with the IC40, then it is a full up unit... Good choice on the salt system...

Well, since you asked, and it is easy for me to spend your money.. I would suggest the 3 HP IntelliFlo VS pump... It is designed to go along with the EasyTouch and is perfect for running slow when generating chlorine and automatically increasing the speed when your solar comes on. It is basically the "gold standard" of pool pumps.

If you don't want to install the IntelliFlo, then I would go with a 2-speed pump.

Just for reference, I can run my IntelliFlo, at 1200 rpm, 24/7, for less than $20 bucks a month...

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.
    17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4 (now 8), IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

I called my builder and he quoted me $500 more for the intelliflo.....I'm considering it because I could use the extra kWh towards a heat pump down the road.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm definitely going with the intelliflo after some reading. Thanks for the input.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Check your utility for rebates. I got $400 for my variable speed pump. What state are you in? Also I would specify all Jandy neverlube valves. I would also go 2" or larger for all plumbing.
    29k Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 1 vacuum pressure port, 2 skimmers, Main drain, Jandy 2.7HP VSP, Jandy JXI400N Gas Heater, Jandy CV340 Cartridge Filter, FusionSoft 1400 SWG, 2 Watercolors LED, iAqualink with PDA, Sheer Waterfall, Rock Waterfall, 9' Deep End w/Diving Board, SunDeck, Polaris 9650iQ, TF-100 - Pool Build - 2017 - Google Photos

9. Back To Top    #9

I know I did a terrible job with keeping this updated but figured I'd show some finished pics. This board has been immensely helpful. Thanks to all!

10. Back To Top    #10

Awesome plumbing work!!!! Looks great!!! Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by slizzio View Post
    I know I did a terrible job with keeping this updated but figured I'd show some finished pics. This board has been immensely helpful. Thanks to all!

Leisure Pools Elegance 39' IG FG 15,301 Gal Built April 2018, Hayward Omnilogic Control Panel,Hayward SWG T-15,Hayward Tristar VS Pump 1.85hp Hayward 400 KBTU Heater
    Cartridge Filter , Added Borates City Water, Dolphin Maytronics M400 Cleaner, Lamotte Color-Q Tester and Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you. I am very happy with the work.

12. Back To Top    #12

Nice plumbing job. Paricularly like the pre-plumbing for a heater!
    Keith
    15,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool, 1.5" PVC plumbing
    1.0HP Sta-Rite DuraGlass P2R pump, Hayward S244T sand filter
    Teledyne-Laars Lite-2 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Polaris 380/Hayward 6060 booster pump

13. Back To Top    #13

It looks great! Man, I am so jealous of your beautiful setting. What a fantastic retreat.
    40x15 IG 15,000 gallons /TF100 Test Kit / Ocean Blue PebbleSheen / Jandy CV460 Filter/ Jandy PLC1400 Salt System / Jandy VSSHP270AUT VSP / Jandy JXI400N heater / Jandy PSB215 Pool and Spa Blower / iAqualink / Polaris 280 / New Geometric IG Pool in DFW

14. Back To Top    #14

Very nice --

FYI - Pentair IC SWCG's like to have about 12" of straight pipe before the flow switch. If you have to run your pump (not sure what that is, Signature?) at higher rates to close the flow switch, that is the issue.

You have room to install the Jandy Never Lube valves later.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

I see now in previous posts you said it was an Intelliflo. Kind of looked like it but I was not sure.

If you need more than 1400 rpm or so to close the flow switch, see above.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

15. Back To Top    #15

Talk to me about that coping!!! How in the world did they do that???? I have never see that before!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Just beautiful. Love the wiggly pattern!
    16' by 4' Intex Ultra Frame AGP
    Intex Sand Filter Pump & SWG
    Hayward Skimmer, Intex Auto Cleaner
    TF-100 & Speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Talk to me about that coping!!! How in the world did they do that???? I have never see that before!

Kim
    Hopefully you like it, lol. It is just cantilevered concrete. They have forms that go into where the liner goes in. They pour the concrete, remove the forms, and then install the liner in that track.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    Very nice --

FYI - Pentair IC SWCG's like to have about 12" of straight pipe before the flow switch. If you have to run your pump (not sure what that is, Signature?) at higher rates to close the flow switch, that is the issue.

You have room to install the Jandy Never Lube valves later.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

I see now in previous posts you said it was an Intelliflo. Kind of looked like it but I was not sure.

If you need more than 1400 rpm or so to close the flow switch, see above.
    Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeighHop View Post
    It looks great! Man, I am so jealous of your beautiful setting. What a fantastic retreat.

Thank you, it's not without it's problems....cough leaves cough

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Nice plumbing job. Paricularly like the pre-plumbing for a heater!
    Yes...the heater was supposed to wait until next year....but I ordered it already ha ha.

18. Back To Top    #18

I was talking about the lines. How in the world did they make them? So even and and purrfect!

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I was talking about the lines. How in the world did they make them? So even and and purrfect!

Kim
    Oh, he just had a broom that he cut the middle bristles out of. He then squiggled it by hand as he pulled it back. Pretty impressive that he can do it so well.

20. Back To Top    #20

By hand?????????? Art with a broom! Did he show you an example of it to get your approval before he did the whole thing? SKILLS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast