main drain and pump

Mar 18, 2018
houston texas
good morning we just moved into this townhouse in Houston which has a inground pool which in turn had fish in it anyway i pulled the fish out drained all the water out to find about 4 in of dirt on the bottom pulled all the dirt out found what i think is the main drain at the bottom which was sealed off i undid the seal filled the pool all the way to test the pump and jets turned on the pump and nothing is happening there is no water running into the pump basket THIS BEING OUR FIRST POOL I COULD REALLY USE SOMEONES HELP THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: It's very possible the drain was closed/plugged years ago which is fine. Your pump should get all the water it needs from the poolside skimmer(s). From there, you need to make sure the water level is adequate for the skimmer, at least halfway to 3/4 up the skimmer mouth. If it is, then check from the skimmer to the pump basket for any air (suction) leaks. Take a look at the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page for more info and tips.

Also, please update your profile/signature with all of your pool info so we know what you have to work with. You can see mine below as an example. Nice to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

You might also consider taking a garden hose and pushing backwards from the pump basket to the poolside skimmer to make sure there isn't a clog.

PK,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your "Fishy" new pool questions... :shark:

If you can post a couple of pics of your equipment pad and the pool, we may see something that might help us figure out want is going on...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

pk, when you turn on the pump, is there any water in the pump basket? if not, you need to add water to the pool pump basket, then as it starts to finally fill, you can shut the clear top then crank her on and see what happens...it might not even be priming

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.