Plaster repair always going to look noticeable?

socks341968

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2017
Midland City, AL
Our pool is only about 7 months old. We noticed an area that basically sounded hollow and would bow in when you walked on it. The PB finally came and looked at it at the end of the summer, and after sending multiple people out to look at it, they finally sent the plaster contractor out to fix it yesterday. To say that we have had multiple problems with this pool and the building of it, would be putting it lightly. As you can tell the finish that they said would eventually look fine is really mottled (Tahoe Blue Quartz). Now, the patch looks horrible. Will it stay looking like this and very noticeable? They acid washed it before they patched it and I would say it looks worse after the acid washing.

I have a BIG sad for you :( That does stand out. I am going to share a pic from someone:

dbtgallery.php

This is where he had them repair a small crack on one of his spa seats. He says he wishes he had left it alone. I need to ask him if it has "blended" in at all since this pic was taken.

That will not get much better. You will always be able to see it when the water is still. Will it blend in with brushing? I am not sure. I GUESS they could do a acid wash on the rest of the pool making sure to NOT touch the new piece and see if that will bring the old plaster closer to the new part. BUT know this could shorten your plaster life slightly in the long run.

Me? I would really think about pushing for a whole new plaster job on the whole pool. You paid good money for as close to purrfect as you could get.

Let us know what ends up happening.

KIm (NO cheering on this one)

I feel so sad for you [emoji20] Just read your previous posts and it seems like you’ve had a terrible time with your pool build and now this. The only thing that would make me happy would be a complete replaster. Did you say in a previous post that they didn’t acid wash before filling? I’m not sure about over there, but here in Australia that is unheard of.

We sent the PB a picture and voiced our concerns. I don't think they did the acid washing correctly either, and now we have several large stains, multiple streaks and white areas. We are going to push for them to totally redo the plaster. I also noticed they weren't careful when walking in and out of the pool without the water in it, and chipped a few of my glass tiles on the steps. I will keep you updated, and thank you so much for taking the time to look at the problem :)

This time is the first time it has been acid washed. When the pool was originally plastered, they just stuck the water hoses in the pool and took off. Three days later the pool builder showed up and threw in some chlorine tabs. The finish is supposed to be smooth and not rough on the feet, but ours is rough, and after this bungled acid wash, I bet it's going to be worse. There's no way we are going to live with this mess. Thank goodness that I have extra glass tiles left over because they will have to fix those too. I will say that the one thing that I did right was choosing the glass tile. It has held up really well, and is beautiful in the pool. Only paid 13.00 a square foot and I could buy as much or as little as I needed. The one bright spot!

So, we talked to the PB today, and he was like WOW, Yes, I see it. Didn't try to give us the run around and promised it will be fixed to our satisfaction one way or another. My thing is that I don't want to delay swimming season again like we did last year and only got to use our pool a couple of times before it was too cold. The water is already coming up to temperature and several of our friends are using their pools already. I think we will make them do a complete replaster at the end of the season. I am not looking forward to doing all that brushing several times a day again though. UGH. lol. I have also learned a lot from previous experience and this forum. I will watch them like a hawk during the process!

I totally get what you both mean. I guess we will see. We do have the phone call recorded lol. We have gotten wise to those verbal promises. It's also a reputable pool builder that I think is going to be around for a while. They are so busy with pools they turn some down. I think part of the problem is that we live in the country and there are no inspectors that are required to look at anything or approve anything. They can just start and go. We've bought about 3700 square feet of tumbled travertine from Turkey that still needs to be put on top of the concrete around the pool and the future bbq/fireplace/rest area. I'm honestly so afraid they will mess something else up with the replaster that we will end up not even getting in it this year. We may have to bite that bullet though. We will see..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 cents...

You're betting $10000 that this guy will:

- Be around/alive in six months
- Isn't driven into bankruptcy by other unsatisfied customers and lawsuits
- Will remember what he promised
- Will honor what he promised
- Will have time for you
- Will actually do the work this year instead of next
- Etc, etc.

Get it in writing right now.
Get it done this month.

He absolutely must replace the surface, non-negotiable. He should pay for the water, too.

My pool was resurfaced in a week.

Do your own startup (if your warranty allows), and do it right.

Don't let anybody manage the chemistry (if your warranty allows), and do it right. TFP all the way, from day one!

If it were me (and he might go for this if he is that busy), I'd try to negotiate that another plaster contractor do the work. I didn't read your other post, but just the acid wash stuff alone in this one is a big red flag. See if you can find someone better at this to redo your finish. It's a long shot, but ya never know unless you ask.

It is my understanding, and so far my experience, that a deep color like Tahoe blue, plaster or pebble, will mottle over time. I'm already seeing large color variations in mine, only six months old. I was warned by my plaster guy that this would happen (I think I even signed a release to that effect.). I believe it is common. So don't expect a perfect, even-colored surface for years to come. I don't think that is possible with dark pools. I liked my old Tahoe Blue plaster mottling, it looked like clouds to me. And I'm convincing myself that I like what my new pebble is doing in that regard. I don't have much choice, and I wouldn't do it differently. I like the darker color, and that's worth an uneven color palette. Think of it this way, it's more like a lake/ocean in that regard. Yah, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!

Good luck to you! Sounds like you've got a fix on the way, just don't put it off...

--edit--

I don't have experience with quartz, so I'm not sure my thoughts about mottling apply. Others might know. I suspect it does, though...

You are very detailed and absolutely right. I will show this to my husband. We will definitely get it in writing, or get it done now. I agree that I would really like to go with a different plaster company as we've had multiple problems with this one. They are sloppy and got that stuff everywhere. I'm okay with the mottling, in fact, I like it too. I just don't like the spots that look like footprints everywhere in the shallow end. I actually like the shift in colors like you do. It does remind me more of the natural water/ocean. I don't like the scratches/footprints that kind of ruin the natural look. I knew a dark color would be a problem as well. If they would have been smart, they would have patched it in a swirl instead of such a straight square..lol. Now that, I probably could have lived with. I'll post more pictures of the pool later today, so you guys can see the rest of it. I really love the shape and the sun shelf. Thanks for the advice!

I was going to ask about that rectangle. I though maybe it was something lying there and that the patch was one of the other, organic shapes. THAT RECTANGLE IS THE PATCH? And they say that's going to blend in? I just can't imagine how that would happen, even if they were somehow able to use the exact same mix of plaster! Which I would guess would be impossible, days/weeks after the first batch was mixed. I wonder if you could insist on someone else doing the repair work... I sure wouldn't want those knuckleheads to come back...

When my replaster happened, the first thing they did was completely cover and mask off my entire deck and coping.

I watched with fascination how they worked the plaster, real pros. And I made a point to be watching the last little bit (the middle of the deep end), because I could just not imagine how they were going to work that section without standing on it. It was one guy, and he had it down. His buddies hauled him out with a rope when he was done!

There should absolutely be no mars or footprints, of course. That's not acceptable work. And why was the plaster defective in the first place? I don't think you are being unreasonable at all, demanding a different plaster company. These guys are rookies, for sure. You might try this: ask the PB for a better team. If he says no, point out all the problems with the first team, and remind him that if the second plastering isn't absolutely flawless, that he'll be ripping it out again. Stick to your guns!

We're up to 4 cents now... ;)

Oh, by the way. My new plaster was acid washed as part of the plaster job. I brushed it for a month, just to be safe, but I never saw the faintest puff of plaster dust off my brush, even from day one. Not sure if quartz uses a different process, though.

I just had a bad thought... Getting a better crew in there is likely going to meet with resistance. If I was the PB, I'd be making the original plaster co replace their original work at no cost to me. So your PB allowing a different company would be out of his pocket... :( Can't hurt to ask...

Just wanted to let everyone that was concerned about our issue, that the PB has stated they are going to replaster the entire pool. They realize there is just no other fix for it. They will be here next Tuesday to chip it out and get it ready to be redone. I've also had to order new glass tile as we have it on all of the steps/tanning ledges on the edge. That is on their dime too. I really hate having to do this process all over again, and drain our pool yet again, but I certainly hope they get it right this time! I will post pictures when it is redone. Thanks for everyone's help!

That is nice to hear!!!

Now tell me this---------is this a whole pool chip out OR just chipping out around the returns and lights? The reason I ask is this, in the far future (15 yrs or so) when the pool needs new plaster then YOU (your wallet) will be on the hook for the full chip out if they just do the light/return chip out now. Where if they do the full pool chip out now (on their dime) then you can have the small chip out done when it is time for new plaster. Just something to think about!

Kim:kim:

Yay! So happy to hear this news. By May you'll be swimming in a brand new pool, with a beautiful new surface, and this will all be behind you!! :party:

You're going to have a fantastic summer!

Kim, can you explain what a "light/return chip out" is? And why that would be used? When I had mine done recently, they took out every stitch of plaster, down to the gunite, with big racking jackhammer marks remaining. over the entire surface. I don't think that's what you're describing, is it? Is there another, cheaper, way this is done?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.