Hayward Pool Heater IF code- Help Please !

If the system does not acknowledge that the limit opened, it won't shut off the gas.

The limit isn't in series with the gas valve where it can cut power to the valve.

The limit is monitored by the board and if the board sees the limit open, then it cuts power to the valve and gives a LO code.

IF means that flame rectification was lost.

I'm thinking I may have to buy a manometer and adjust the gas valve pressure myself (if needed). The more I learn about this it seems the pool techs haven't worked through the problem very well and it appears they may have my gas valve set too high. If anyone can recommend a good repair tech in the Henderson / Las Vegas area I would rather have this done by a qualified person.

It might be an issue but I don't think that it's causing the main problem.

Maybe getting a steady 2" will help. But I wouldn't count on it.

Maybe there's an issue with the gas line that takes a minute or so to show up.

When the pressure was tested, did it get tested all the way until the heater shut down?

Maybe the pressure starts ok and then drops after a few minutes.

Check the heater serial number to see how old it is.

If the system does not acknowledge that the limit opened, it won't shut off the gas.

The limit isn't in series with the gas valve where it can cut power to the valve.

The limit is monitored by the board and if the board sees the limit open, then it cuts power to the valve and gives a LO code.

IF means that flame rectification was lost.

It creates a short cycling. Why wouldn't the limit open shut off the gas? It's shutting the system down so it can't fire. Not ALL systems give a LO message.

The Hayward H400IDL2 gives a LO if the high limit is causing the shutdown.

The error reported is IF, which means that the control board shut down the heater because it lost flame rectification.

I'm not sure if the pressure was tested all the way to shutdown. This has been an ongoing process over the last year and I was not there for every service call although other family members were present. Now that I've learned a little bit, I'll know to watch more closely and ask questions when they're servicing.

Heater worked great for the first 3 years of owning the home. The first repair tech replaced the gas valve, fired the heater and left. A few minutes later it threw the IF code and we called him back. He returned, couldn't figure it out and said he didn't know what else to do. Second repair company thought it must be a gas supply issue. Gas company checked the meter and gas supply at the heater. Gas company also checked the operating inlet and outlet pressure at the gas valve with a manometer. 4.6"wc inlet and 2.5"wc outlet. They finally installed a new meter, just to make sure because of the repair tech thinking it was a gas supply problem.

I'm sure it's an older unit although it looks good and clean. Model is H400IDL2 and Serial # is (21)130607103237001

As for the error code, we do have LO on the panel when heater is not operating. I thought that was normal but maybe not ? The IF code occurs once unit is operating.

Is the LO on while the pump is on?

LO can be the water pressure switch or the high limit switch.

If the heater is powered while the pump is off, the LO is due to the water pressure switch.

The heater was made in July 2006.

Do you have a picture of the inside of the heater with the front door off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have LO before turning on the heater, it won't even try to fire.

The LO has to go away before the heater will fire.

Check flame quality.

Burner inspection and cleaning:
With the heater on, remove the front door and make a visual inspection of the main burners through the inspection window. The main burner flames should be about 1⁄2 to 2 inches in height and should not “lift” off the ports of the burners. See Figure 47.
A normal flame is blue, without yellow tips. Yellow tips or a totally yellow or “lazy” flame may be an indication of a fuel-rich mixture due to restricted air openings, including spider nests in the burner and/or orifices.
All burners should be brushed with a wire brush and be free of lint, dust and spider webs before each season of use. Burners with damaged ports must be replaced.

Check gas pressure all the way until shutdown.

If you're getting an "IF" code at shutdown. It's telling you that you have a flame quality problem or a flame sensing circuit problem.

Up until now we always tried to figure out this problem in spa mode because this is how it was done by the pool techs.
Today we tried both pool and spa with these results.

Pump circulating and heater in Standby Mode - LO code

Pump circulating, valves set for pool ,water circulating in pool, pool mode selected - Service light is On and LO code ( heater of coarse does not try to run )

Pump circulating, valves set for spa, water circulating in spa, spa mode selected - LO code disappears, heater fires and temperature is displayed . Runs a few minutes, heats up a few degrees before cycling on and off and then throws IF code.

I'm really confused why the error is not the same for both pool and spa settings.

I suspect that in pool mode, the back pressure is insufficient to close the pressure switch but in spa mode, there's enough back pressure to close the pressure switch.

You're probably going to need to check the burners.

Maybe the gas supply is compromised where the pressure starts ok but drops.

I'm still thinking that it might be a leaky exchanger getting the firetile wet.

You might need a good service technician to figure this out.

What pump do you have?

Do I now understand this correctly ? I wasn't sure how it should work before.

The LO code should not be there anytime the pump is running, even if heater is in standby mode.
LO should be on display when pump is not running and heater is in standby mode.

The filter is due to be cleaned again and we will do so.

Will look at the heat exchanger again . I assume it will look pretty dirty if sooted up. I read where the burners can be pulled and cleaned, but I don't know if replacements are still available if needed .

LO means that the water pressure switch or the high limit is open.

In this case, the LO is due to the water pressure switch.

When the pump is on, the switch should be closed and you should not get an LO code.

If the pump is off and the heater is powered, you should get an LO code.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.