Jandy CL460 CL Large Cartridge Filter Issues

Hi TFP. Looking for advice on the above referenced filter. I installed it about 1.5 years ago and now my pool guy is saying it needs to be replaced with a Pentair 460.

It is hard for me to believe that a filter can go bad that quickly. I've asked him to change the cartridges and he says that will not help because the cartridges are not "sealing right."

I've attached a picture of one of the current cartridges.

Did i buy a piece of junk?

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 90
Do you have a picture of the system?

Is it plumbed correctly? Is the in and out correct?

Do you have a picture of the side of the cartridges?

Is dirt collecting inside the cartridge or the outside?

I'm thinking that the flow might be backwards causing the water to go from inside the cartridge to the outside, which can cause the cartridges to be damaged similar to what is pictured.

Did the pressure get super high at any point?

Note: The filter in the title does not match the one in your signature.

bj, are all of the cartridges like this or just this one?

As stated, where is the dirt? Inside or outside of filters? if the dirt is on the inside, then it is plumbed wrong...if dirt is in the outside, and only 1 cartridge is damaged, it may have been dropped on the corner and broken.

As requested, pls post a side picture of filter and how your filtering system is configured...good luck, tstex

The incompetence level required to plumb a filter backwards is staggering. I'd not trust anything else on that build either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The incompetence level required to plumb a filter backwards is staggering. I'd not trust anything else on that build either.

It might be prudent for the OP to hire another PB that is competently known and perform an audit of the entire pool. Once Warranty is over, it's a real bust to get anything done, even w the gross negligence as demonstrated w the filtering system...

This would not be common (though I'll mention it because it is possible and in line with the above thoughts), but our original filter was plumbed right from the outside, but inside, the filter had been a 'return' which was then sold to us from the distributor (no fault of our PB), and the plumbing was jerry-rigged and reversed inside the filter. Causing the blowout effect and essentially no filtering to occur. I had opened it up and could see the plumbing inside didn't match the design per the manual.

I just had another PB check all the plumbing and the folks on this thread were correct! The flow was reversed. Thankfully, that was the only issue found.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I found them to be very useful and am happy I am a member of TFP!

I just had another PB check all the plumbing and the folks on this thread were correct! The flow was reversed. Thankfully, that was the only issue found.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I found them to be very useful and am happy I am a member of TFP!

Yet something else to file away in my memory bank for future reference. ;) Glad you got it all figured out! :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.