Above Ground Spa Seep. Fixes?

Paul A

Jan 12, 2017
Ivins, Utah
My 8 year old above ground spa is showing signs of seepage along the sides. Not sure exactly what to do or if it's a real significant problem.

Overall photo:

IMG_4698.jpg

We have very high mineral content water. Chemistry results are as follows:

ph: I lower it down to 7.2 and after about 3 days it drifts up to about 7.8 - 8.0. I use muriatic acid.
FC: Raise it up to about 8.0 and after 3 days it's drifted down to 1-2 ppm using germicidal bleach (8%)
TA: averages around 220
CH: averages around 350

Once a year I drain the spa and clean the mineral deposit ring with muriatic acid.

I notice there are small white 'bumps' on the interior that I suspect is mineral leaching? Could be related to the water seepage?

IMG_4700.jpg

The pic below shows a couple of the seeps.

IMG_4695.jpg

Thoughts? Do I need to address these white 'bumps' on the interior surface? Is there some sort of clear sealer that could be applied the next time I drain the spa?
Thanks for any assistance!

The water coming through the wall is a leak of some kind. Maybe through the shell or from plumbing.

The white is probably scale and maybe calcium nodules.

The high TA probably has your CSI sky high.

Check the CSI with poolmath.

The plaster looks dark and splotchy. Is that the original color?

Thanks for your comments, James.

Regarding PoolMath, when I enter my ph and FC (using the current values for TA & CH) I'm usually within the recommended range of -0.6 to +0.6. Although if I let the ph drive too high or FC too low, I'm out of range.

I think the clouds in the sky reflected a bit giving it that splotchy look. The nodules are just slightly proud (maybe 1 mm?). Yes, it's the original color. I took another pic, but can't upload it for some reason...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.