Pentair SuperFlo VS pad orientation

Hello,

I currently have an old Pentair Challenger 1HP single speed pump for my in-ground pool. My local energy company is promoting rebates on VS pumps, in addition to the better operating cost and quiet operation, that is attractive.

The trouble is most of these VS pumps have control pads that are in an orientation that makes sense for the motor but not for a direct swap out of the Challenger. I am faced with two choices on this pump. Do the direct swap out, set it up in this awkward orientation where the control panel faces away from the operator and then just let it do it's thing.
Or, maybe rotate the new Pentair SuperFlo VS 90 degrees and re-plumb my pad with some not so friendly pipe locations to get the right suction lead in to the intake. One thing I was thinking about was using a 1 1/2 inch 90 degree large radius PVC sweep on the intake side to accommodate the pipe locations without increasing resistance like a traditional 90 elbow.

Anyway, I think I am inviting all sorts of problems with the re-plumb idea and wondered what experience others have had using these new VS pumps where the control pad might be inconveniently located?
Or maybe looking at my existing pad picture, you might have suggestions on ways to re-engineer a workable solution?

Thanks.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_4201.jpg
    IMG_4201.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 71
Paul,

If this were my pool, I would install the pump so that I could read the control panel... The whole idea of a VS pump is so that you can run them slowly... Flow will not be an issue. I would not put a 90 degree elbow right at the pump's input, but 6" down the pipe will not make any discernible difference.. even at full speed.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Nice suggestion kadavis and thanks. Sometimes it is tough to find all the product and brand options out there which is why the hive brain here is so great. I'll check out that Hayward.

Also, not sure why that pump discharge was implemented that way. I inherited it. But if I do decide to install the Hayward, I'll have the opportunity to shorten it which will open up some maneuverable space around the pump and filter. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.