Do you think two returns and one skimmer is sufficient for my pool?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
We just finished up our pool build (16 X 37 with 8 ft deep end). I didn't really know enough to question it in the beginning but I'm wondering now if it would have been a better setup to have a second skimmer instead of just one wide mouth? Also maybe some jets over on the steps since debris seems to love to hang out there? I'm hoping everyone will say no and that I'm fine because it's a little late in the game now to change but was still curious if what I have is enough to be efficient at skimming and circulating the pool.

Thanks!

R,

The pool at my daughter's house has one skimmer and only two returns and it works fine. Would I like another skimmer and more returns? Yes I would, but as you say... a little too late now.

Not sure how they are set now, but you could try setting your two eyeballs pointing so that they try to force the surface water to rotate, like in a toilet bowl.. You may have to play with your pump speed to get what you want.

That said.. it is never going to be perfect..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

My in laws pool was 16x36 and worked fine with 2 returns and 1 skimmer. We haven't used our pool yet but I think it has 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 jets in the swimout/bench and 1 jet on the stairs. Seems like overkill but I'm guessing this is a case where too many is a good thing?

Do you also have a main drain? Two skimmers are not necessary but I like to see two separate sources of suction in case one ever fails. So a main drain and one skimmer are fine. Also I have jets in the steps (one each side on one step only) and two on my bench. Don't worry about that, they don't clean anyting to be of value, you'll still need to brush once in a while. The kids like it when the heater is on and it's warm water coming out though :)

I have one skimmer, 3 returns and one main drain.

I think the more important thing to know was the skimmer placed in the best place to take advantage of the breezes in the the yard? The skimmer is for the surface, not the bottom. The returns help "push" debris towards the skimmer and the breezes certainly help that!

Maddie :flower:

Question, is the return jet on white plastic steps “put in” by the pb or does it come that way when they order the steps?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm assuming trying to add stair jets or additional skimmer/jets would be nearly impossible after the fact without at least taking the liner out and somehow tunneling around or else cutting up the concrete? I think I'm be fine as is, but still makes me wish I had at least more seriously considered it when we started and there were endless possibilities =/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.