Teribble's Vegas OB Pool / Spa

Progress! Yay!! I guess owner builders who do their own plans don't get those fancy CAD renders that PB salesmen like to show potential customers! Bummer, we like those here. Lots of pics, please, when you have something to show us! I think the robot/suction option decision is smart. You won't regret it.

Ha, well I could probably figure it out if I stared at that drawing long enough (I used to be able to read a blueprint, several sets of glasses ago!!), but I'll wait for the render! ;)

Nice looking design. I love J’s plans. Very easy to read. If you don’t mind, a couple things you may want to consider. I know here in Vegas the wind can change directions from minute to minute. For me, it’s primarily north and south. If the same for you you may want to move the skimmer basket to the north side of the pool. Also, our designs are very similar. At the last minute and at the suggestion of one of our subs we incorporated a bench that runs the length of the pool nearest the seating area. It turned out to be a great ide because most adults will just sit on the bench and talk to others who are out of the pool. A long bench between your spa and wet deck may work out the same. Again, love your design and can’t wait to see the finished product.

It’s been really interesting watching your design evolve. I think you will be happy with 4-5-6. We have gone with 4-6 in our pool which is a fair bit smaller than yours and we are really happy with the depth (not that we have swum in it yet). No input re the under floor cleaning. With a small pool I don’t think it’s necessary and when something goes wrong I can’t imagine it would be easy to fix. They wanted an additional 10k here for it (well other quotes did, our pb didn’t have it listed as an option).

Nice looking design. I love J’s plans. Very easy to read. If you don’t mind, a couple things you may want to consider. I know here in Vegas the wind can change directions from minute to minute. For me, it’s primarily north and south. If the same for you you may want to move the skimmer basket to the north side of the pool. Also, our designs are very similar. At the last minute and at the suggestion of one of our subs we incorporated a bench that runs the length of the pool nearest the seating area. It turned out to be a great ide because most adults will just sit on the bench and talk to others who are out of the pool. A long bench between your spa and wet deck may work out the same. Again, love your design and can’t wait to see the finished product.
I did contact Jay about doing my plans but after seeing what he was providing everyone I wanted to do the prints myself. I was a little worried about the wind direction but for what I can tell it seems to blow Northeast but it does change often. I'm not sure how the skimmer would work with the bench on the spa side. I was thinking about doing a long bench like you're suggesting but didn't what it to interfere with the lights or sweep. That's why I when with the L shape bench. I hope it all works out and I'm sure we'll be happy either way. Thanks for the great ideas.

It’s been really interesting watching your design evolve. I think you will be happy with 4-5-6. We have gone with 4-6 in our pool which is a fair bit smaller than yours and we are really happy with the depth (not that we have swum in it yet). No input re the under floor cleaning. With a small pool I don’t think it’s necessary and when something goes wrong I can’t imagine it would be easy to fix. They wanted an additional 10k here for it (well other quotes did, our pb didn’t have it listed as an option).
The design has gone every which way and it's been crazy. I think 4-6 is great but wanted a little extra space for jumping in. I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'10 which is why I chose the 7' deep end.

I love the idea for infloor but it's not worth the extra cost and with the new robots and suction cleaners. It really rules out the infloor. My last suction side cleaner did a great job (Even tho I didn't have it setup correctly) and I didn't know the new robots clean the water line which is a huge selling point for me.

I'm hoping to send out my drawings today / contact subs and get a few quotes for excavation. Should have a permit to dig this week or next depending on when I get the structural drawings.

For what it’s worth, our light and sweep outlet are also on the side with the bench. The sweep is above the bench and the light below it. Can’t wait to watch your build.

Attachments

• FF816BD4-1C74-4489-B47D-7B9B8ED21CC8.jpg
    FF816BD4-1C74-4489-B47D-7B9B8ED21CC8.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 216
If you need to look at a pool while it's going in just let me know and you can come over and take a gander.......
Thanks, I'll have to come check it out before you get your plaster finished. I'd like to find a build before shotcrete to peek at if you know of any locals.

For what it’s worth, our light and sweep outlet are also on the side with the bench. The sweep is above the bench and the light below it. Can’t wait to watch your build.
oh, now you have me thinking.... Do you have any pictures of it in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. It will not let me upload pictures. If you want to PM me your phone number I’ll text you some pictures.
I'll send you my number. Thank you

7ft is very ideal if your y’all and maybe even deeper. I went 7ft and almost I would have went 8 just due to the length of myself and the rest of my family
I think and sure hope 7' will be good because it's going to be to late to change that soon.

I sent a bunch of emails out to get bids on everything. Still waiting on structural drawings. One excavator is coming by today to give me a quote. This mud hole is about to be real.

I sent a bunch of emails out to get bids on everything. Still waiting on structural drawings. One excavator is coming by today to give me a quote. This mud hole is about to be real.

Sounds like a plan is coming together..

I would suggest to focus on getting bids from excavation, plumbing, and rebar for now. Everything else, those numbers will change. You should decide on coping now, because if you want something other than concrete its probably going to be ordered and that could be weeks before it arrives. Plus the color of coping will help you decide on pool tile color and finish color.

I'll send you my number. Thank you

I think and sure hope 7' will be good because it's going to be to late to change that soon.

Keep in mind that Will was genetically created in in a lab that would give a marvel comic a run for their money.

Keep in mind that Will was genetically created in in a lab that would give a marvel comic a run for their money.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Now that’s a good one! I’m actually about 15 pounds overweight right now so I’m trying to work it off so I can look good in my wrestling costume .
But someone did tell me just yesterday that I look like the rock lol and of course I told them I am a rock

Sounds like a plan is coming together..

I would suggest to focus on getting bids from excavation, plumbing, and rebar for now. Everything else, those numbers will change. You should decide on coping now, because if you want something other than concrete its probably going to be ordered and that could be weeks before it arrives. Plus the color of coping will help you decide on pool tile color and finish color.
The plan is moving alone. I didn't get any quotes for rebar yet. My main focus has been excavation, electrical, and plumbing. I did send out some for shotcrete to have an idea of the cost. This project isn't going to be finished in a month or two. I'm thinking it's going to be about 6 or 7 months depending on how much work I end up doing myself.

His house looking like it's out of a better homes magazine so I'm sure he was created in a lab.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Now that’s a good one! I’m actually about 15 pounds overweight right now so I’m trying to work it off so I can look good in my wrestling costume .
But someone did tell me just yesterday that I look like the rock lol and of course I told them I am a rock
So you wear a singlet for your pool parties?

Quick update.
I got my structural plans yesterday and have received a few quotes and even found a few more subs to add to the the sub list. I've taken the two sub lists I got from different users and complied them into one, added any missing email address's and phone numbers. I added a few more tabs to the spreadsheet to track my bids and interactions with the subs. I can hopefully create a spreadsheet for the next OB to use and track his build and keep it going. Should be submitting the plans on Monday for permit and will wait to do the review over the counter.

I shudder when I think of OB, and my hat's off to you for taking this on. I imagine that one of the major challenges would be getting the subs inline, and finding a way to even get them interested in working for you. It seems they would, they would have to, give priority to all of their regular generals first, wanting to keep in their good graces for future projects, and by necessity put "one off" OBs at the end of their queue, knowing that any work done for an OB would likely be the only job they'd ever want done.

So finding the list of subs is one thing, how are OBs getting them interested in their project? Enough to provide bids? Enough to come and do the work?

I don't mean to be a downer, stating the obvious. I'm posing the question to other OBs in case they've figured out the answer. Or maybe this is just my imagination and in reality this is a non-issue. Hope so.

I shudder when I think of OB, and my hat's off to you for taking this on. I imagine that one of the major challenges would be getting the subs inline, and finding a way to even get them interested in working for you. It seems they would, they would have to, give priority to all of their regular generals first, wanting to keep in their good graces for future projects, and by necessity put "one off" OBs at the end of their queue, knowing that any work done for an OB would likely be the only job they'd ever want done.

So finding the list of subs is one thing, how are OBs getting them interested in their project? Enough to provide bids? Enough to come and do the work?

I don't mean to be a downer, stating the obvious. I'm posing the question to other OBs in case they've figured out the answer. Or maybe this is just my imagination and in reality this is a non-issue. Hope so.
I work in construction and started right out of high school so I know how the game is played. I did the complete mechanical design/ detailing/ coordination/ and worked with our subs doing the install on the Mercedes Benz stadium. A pool should be a cake walk once I get the details, which there has been some good people on here that's help me understand the process. As for the subs wanting to work with an OB... I'm sure they give their big builders priority but they should because they will always be there to give them the work. I think if they have an opening they'll take all the work they can get or do it on the weekend. I think they chose to do the OB because they know they can charge more for an OB because any PB is going to have a good idea of the cost and if their sub gives them a high quote they'll go down the road. I've done a few HVAC jobs on the side and I know what my time is worth so if I'm working on the side I make it worth it and I'm sure they're doing the same. I'm trying to be as flexible as possible for them. This way they'll be more likely to do a better job at a good price... I hope. The subs also know if a PB doesn't have work they don't get work. A PB isn't going to care about any of their subs when it get slow and if they have a bad name on the street it goes around quickly. Construction workers are like a high school cheerleader. We talk to everyone. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out in the end and what kind of saving I end up with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.