How to keep my pool manageable while being repaired

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
As referenced here (Diverter Replacement Project) I have a 3 way valve that broke and I'm trying to repair it. From a water chemistry standpoint, is there anything I can be doing to help the pool stay as clean as possible while I get this fixed. I cannot run the pool pump unless I find some way to bypass this junction until I can get it fixed. Can I bring to shock level and just manually mix with a brush? I may be able to repair the pool today, if not, I'm about a week out due to getting the correct valve.

Use bleach for chlorine since you can't run your IC40. Mix it up with a brush as you suggest or if you have a robot cleaner that will help stir things up. I don't see any reason you need to go up to shock level, just keep it at normal FC levels with bleach

And of course I go on vacation from Thursday night until Sunday night so I either need to get a friend to come over and swirl the pool around, or knock up the chlorine a bit before that. I will monitor every day to get an idea of how much it jumps around and go from there.

I just tested my water. My pump has been off for two days and I'm at FC 4.5. I'm sure it helps that the water is ice cold still and we'll be around 70 degrees for the next week. The pool is cloudy but that is because all the dirt from my water feature dumped into the pool when I was working on the valve over the weekend.

Can I assume that as long as my test for FC are coming back in range, my water is good to go and I don't need to be concerned about clarity as much?

Correct. Keep moving the water some each day. Do not be afraid to spike the chlorine a bit with bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.