Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diverter Replacement Project

1. Back To Top    #1

Diverter Replacement Project

So I cracked my diverter earlier today trying to repair my valve. Here's a pic of my diverter. I have a few questions

1. Am I able to buy any brand name's diverter as long as the measurements are the same? Or does it have to be the same brand? Any idea on the brand of this? Most of my products are Pentair.
    2. What size diverter am I looking for? The elbows say 2" so I'm guessing the diverter is 1.5"?
    3. There's no way around having to replace a bunch of the connectors correct? Looks like I'll be getting elbows, slip covers on all 3 sides.... I barely have any room to work with on each side.

~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diverter Replacement Project

The 3way valve I broke I replaced with this one. I like it.
    Amazon.com : Pentair 263037 3-Way PVC 1-1/2 inch (2 inch slip outside) Pool And Spa Diverter Valve : Swimming Pool Filter Valves : Garden Outdoor

jandy and hayword mack good stuff also I mix and match some stuff because of price points.

To help the next time one brakes use these of the ones at your local hardware store. This way you dont have to keep cutting the pipes till there flush to the ground. It helps in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP149...ward+pvc+union
    23,000 in-ground salt water pool with liner, 1.5 HP 2 speed Pentair pump, Hayword C4025 cartridge filter, Jandy SWG.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by callahan3 View Post
    The 3way valve I broke I replaced with this one. I like it.
    Amazon.com : Pentair 263037 3-Way PVC 1-1/2 inch (2 inch slip outside) Pool And Spa Diverter Valve : Swimming Pool Filter Valves : Garden Outdoor

jandy and hayword mack good stuff also I mix and match some stuff because of price points.

To help the next time one brakes use these of the ones at your local hardware store. This way you dont have to keep cutting the pipes till there flush to the ground. It helps in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP149...ward+pvc+union
    Thanks, I actually just ordered the Pentair unit that you linked to just before reading your message. And it's a good idea with the union fittings. I have those on my Intellichlor, which I just replaced and it's an easy plug and play situation.

For cutting so many pipes, is something recommended more than just a hand saw? I'm not looking forward to the cutting part, especially if there are tiny parts that need cut.

4. Back To Top    #4

I use a reciprocating saw on cutting the valve out an rough cutting the pipe but hand saw on final cuts itís smother and safe on short cuts. Good luck

23,000 in-ground salt water pool with liner, 1.5 HP 2 speed Pentair pump, Hayword C4025 cartridge filter, Jandy SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by callahan3 View Post
    I use a reciprocating saw on cutting the valve out an rough cutting the pipe but hand saw on final cuts it’s smother and safe on short cuts. Good luck
    Thanks, I went ahead and purchased a Dewalt reciprocating saw on amazon also. I've long needed a saw so I bit the bullet with some holiday gift cards.

Some of these connecting pipes that I'll have to cut might be like 3 or 4" in long. What's the best way to cut them with a hand saw. Should I be getting some sort of clamps?

6. Back To Top    #6

Iíve had good luck cutting a slit in the elbows parallel to the pipes then heating them with a heat gun and peeling them off. You have to clean up the ends of the pipes with sandpaper afterwards but it works pretty well. Cut the valve out of the way 1st to make things easier.

10 year old 23,500 gal 20X40 in-ground cement pond. 72 sq ft DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater SWG, Nature 2, RayVac and heatpump. Hayworth 3/4 SuperpumpTwo skimmers, dual returns and love-seat jets.

7. Back To Top    #7

I want to add unions to help in the future. Do I have the ability to add them on my cleaning side? As you can see, I don't have much room and the elbow goes straight on the diverter so if I add a union, I'm guessing my Cleaning pipe would have to angle out a bit give some extra space for the union. Any issues anyone can see with doing that?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Modawg2k View Post
    I want to add unions to help in the future. Do I have the ability to add them on my cleaning side? As you can see, I don't have much room and the elbow goes straight on the diverter so if I add a union, I'm guessing my Cleaning pipe would have to angle out a bit give some extra space for the union. Any issues anyone can see with doing that?

Watching this thread because you are going to have the same issue on that side labeled "water feature" that I have...lack of room. Looks like you have plenty of room on the Cleaning System side for unions and the line in from the front has room but you will have to add it before the 90.

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like you will an the unions on the bottom after the elbows you may have to make the new valve taller than it was. Can u take a pic from a little further away also

10. Back To Top    #10

Hereís a few pics from further away and on the other side. I do plan on re-plumbing the entire side that feeds from the Intellichlor since I have the unions from my recent Intellichlor purchase.
    Also pay no attention to that crappy backwash set up. I will be redoing it soon also

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow they made this like they only had 1sqft of room or they was fired lol. I would Re pipe from the intellichlor to the valve with another union in the middle an give your self a little more room away from the valve.

12. Back To Top    #12

Funny you should say that. I actually took the general contractor for my backyard (Who subcontracted out the pool build) to the registrar of contractors and won a settlement because of everything that was jacked up including the pool build.

13. Back To Top    #13

The repair on the water feature side actually will be easier than I thought. I forgot that I actually remove the flapper in the two way valve because having the flapper in there caused my water feature to retain water after it was off. So really I can cut this out altogether and not worry about saving that valve

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

In the Industry

The valve is a Pentair Compool 2-1/2" x 2" 3 port. The elbow labeled cleaning system is 2-1/2" I can't tell but the pipe going down also looks to be 2-1/2"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    The valve is a Pentair Compool 2-1/2" x 2" 3 port. The elbow labeled cleaning system is 2-1/2" I can't tell but the pipe going down also looks to be 2-1/2"
    Dang you are right, I didn't catch that. Can I still swap out for the Pentair 263037 3-Way PVC 1-1/2 inch (2 inch slip outside) (http://a.co/6NHbG87)? I obviously have to adjust for that size adjustment on the cleaning side because you are right about that pipe probably being 2-1/2" vs the others being 2".

16. Back To Top    #16

So I purchased the correct valve today. http://a.co/0i4PHjv

Looks like my pool will be over a week off by the time I get this.

17. Back To Top    #17

And apparently 2.5" PVC is hard to get. So far I only see it in expensive long pieces. I only need a small amount.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

In the Industry

You could cut the 2.5" pipe and put a 2.5" coupling in with a 2.5" x 2" slip reducer and run it in 2'" up to valve

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    You could cut the 2.5" pipe and put a 2.5" coupling in with a 2.5" x 2" slip reducer and run it in 2'" up to valve
    I couldn't find that 2.5 x 2 slip reducer anywhere, I ended up just reordering the correct valve so now I just need to get the 2.5 pipe somewhere

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Call Cloud Pool Supply, they have several locations in Phoenix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast