Replacement pump....... again!

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
OK, I know this has been asked many times before but I need to replace my 20 year old single speed pump - Sta-Rite P2RA5E-124L pump, AO Smith B848 motor (1HP SF 1.65). I have a single suction pipe from the skimmer (no main drain) and 2 returns to the pool - all 1.5" PVC pipe. Hayward 24" sand filter, pressure 12-15psi. No water features or spa.

I've decided to replace it with a ~1HP 2 speed Pentair Whisperflo pump (as opposed to a VS pump) but don't know whether to get the WFDS3 or WFDS4.

Will use the slow speed for filtering and the high speed for heating/Polaris 380 cleaning.

Advice?

Thanks

s,

Looks like the WFDS-3 is a 3/4 HP, 115 volt pump.. While the WFDS-4 is a 1 HP, 220 volt pump.. (Which I assume you already know...)

If you have no water features, then I would go with the 3/4 HP one.. Of course that also depends on how your pad is wired... If you only have 220 at the pad then there is only once choice..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I can do either 110 or 230. My existing 1.0/1.65 HP Sta-Rite pump has worked fine for 20 years but is approaching the end of its useful life (both wet end and motor). My only reservation about the 3/4 HP main pump is that my Polaris/Hayward booster pump is also 3/4HP. I would have thought you would want a higher flow pump for the main pump vs the booster pump(?)

s,

My understanding is the you want the main pump to circulate the water in the system and then the booster pump increases the pressure going to the cleaner...

But, I have never had a pressure side cleaner so let's hope one of our pump experts can chime in...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yea I'm thinking the 3/4hp will be plenty of pump. The 1hp pump would also be fine. When running at low speed the two pumps will be very similar to the point where I doubt you would notice the difference between the two.

When running high speed they will both move more than enough water for your pool.

Get the one you can get a better price on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.