Do I need a timer for my new variable speed pump?

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I just bought a Hayward tristar vs 900 variable speed pump. Should I have an electrician put in a timer so I can set it to run a certain amount of time each day or should I just run it all the time?

i have a 25,000 gallon pool with a small fountain and hot tub.

VS pumps have an internal timer that you set. Normally allows for 4 different pump speeds. The pump is direct wired from a GFCI breaker. No timer is needed.

Only timer you need with a VS pump is if you have a SWCG. Unless you use automation, the SWCG must have a timer to ensure it is powered off when the pump is scheduled to be not operating.

Take care.

ttc,

Most VS pumps have a built in control panel.. So the pump gets constant power from a Circuit Breaker and all the operation is done using the control panel..

I did say "most", so maybe your specific pump does not??? It appears that there are several versions of this pump, so an actual P/N would help us know for sure...

If you have a saltwater pool, your SWCG will need a timer for it...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I do not have saltwater at this time and any conversion is at least a year away.

Because it it is cheaper to run a vs should I just lower the rpm and run it all the time? Or should I set it to run from 8 am to 8 pm , or something like that?

looks like it is model number sp3480vsp so something like that, I can’t quite see the middle numbers from the picture I took.

ttc,

I can't find that P/N, but it could just be me.... :(

I run my pump 24/7 because I have a SWCG and like the idea of adding a little chlorine all the time.. As you say, running 24/7, at 1200 rpm, costs me less than $20 bucks a month...

But.. if I did not have a SWCG, I'm not sure I would run my pump the same way...

You really only need to run your pump long enough the keep the water skimmed... From a chemical mixing point of view an hour or two is enough... But how long it takes to skim your pool would depend on what kind of surface debris you get and how picky you want to be... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.