Heat Pump vs NG heater in S Ontario

RonenK

Feb 23, 2018
Toronto
Moved from https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/126586-Heat-Pump-vs-NG-heater-Southern-Ontario?p=1380957#post1380957 by M Knauss

Hi All,

I have a 20 x 40 in ground pool in southern Ontario, currently heated by passive solar. Last summer, which didn't have much sun, the average pool temperature would get to around 74 degrees. In September, we were able to get it up to 80-85 for a couple of days only.

I want to add a supplementary heating system to heat the water the rest of what's required and am trying to figure out what the most cost effective solution is, based on a 5 year ROI.

My options are Propane or Heat Pump. The Heat Pump will run me around $4,000 CDN for a 110,000 BTU, vs around $1500 CDN for a 300,000 BTU Propane Heater. (I'm under sizing the units by one level because I'm expecting my solar panels to account for the rest.) I'm also ok with it taking a few days to reach temperature and then holding it, as opposed to turning it up and down, as we'll want to use the pool throughout the week during those months.

My cost per kWh is roughly 24 cents (taking into account delivery. I'm also on net meetering so no time of day charges) while my cost of propane is around 60 cents per litre.

I'd like to get the pool to 80-85 degrees from early May till early October (5 months of use).

Taking into account the expected lifespan of the heater and repair costs along with fuel costs and initial hardware and installation costs, does anyone know of a calculator that can take all these things into account to provide some kind of best option?

I figure a Propane or Heat pump heater will need to be running quite constantly in May throughout mid June, and then only partially June - September while the solar panels do their thing. So around two months of constant use and three months of limited use.

Very complex I know. Thank you to all for any help you may be able to provide in this decision. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.