Deck Drain Question - Henderson Owner/Builder

Feb 23, 2018
Henderson
Hi all!

Long time reader, first time poster!

We are starting our Owner/Builder pool project in Henderson next week and I have some questions about the deck drain...

The plan we designed has an interrupted deck that will be comprised of sand finished formed concrete and Mexican Beach pebble, so it's not a continuous concrete deck.

With this type of design, do we still need to install a deck drain? I'm under the assumption that we don't have to, but I can't find any definitive information within the building code.

If anyone has any experience or information with this type of deck, I would love to hear your feedback! I am including a SketchUp drawing of the pool for further clarification.

Thank you, and I look forward to your responses!

PoolDeckSketch.jpg

You know the yard best. Will it slope towards the house at all? You could add in this kind of tubing:

Shop FLEX-Drain 4-in x 25-ft Corrugated Drain with Filter Sock Pipe at Lowes.com

I "see" it going under one of the rock runs as the water will already go to that area so this tube will help carry it away to a safe place.

Or you can make sure to grade the yard and decking so it slopes away from the house.

Kim:kim:

That was my initial plan!

I just didn’t know if it was necessary. The former concrete pavers closest to the house will be pitched away from the house.

I honestly think with all the rocks and crevices, water won’t really be an issue.

When you apply for your permit the requirements will be spelled out based on the plat and PE drawing you will need for the permit. We have deck drains on each side of the pool. This was the Clark County requirement. I believe Henderson uses the same standards.

Take care.

We already have our permit, and the structural drawings don’t have any drainage listed or marked.

That’s why I think it should be ok.

The pool will be 11’ from the house and have concrete and rock in between.

I think a good fail safe would be to install that flexible drainage just to be sure, but it doesn’t look like it’s required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.