Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rookie mistake.... big time

1. Back To Top    #1

Rookie mistake.... big time

So I have a new pool. The plaster is about 3.5 weeks old. The pool builder has drug his feet and I wanted to put some bleach in the water to make sure it didn't start getting algae. I put wayyyyy too much without thinking. I put a little over a gallon of 12%. My CYA is 0, it's not too sunny in Texas right now, how long will it take to dissipate before I can step back and use pool math unlike I did without thinking?
    Hi, starting our build 10/10/17 45'x24.5' ~20K gallon, IG Pool (3'9"x4'9"x5'9") with 10x8.5 sun shelf w/ 2 bubblers and a 5G led spa light ,30'x18" raised beam w/ 3 stone scuppers, Plaster/Stonescapes mini pebble white (zanzibar), 3hp pentair intelliflow VSF, 2hp Superflo for water features, IC40 SWG, 420 cartridge filter, TF-100, pool math, Pentair 820 robot for the cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rookie mistake.... big time

It will degrade fairly quickly. Half life of unstabilized FC is about 20-30mins in full sun
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

So that is about 6 ppm FC. Not a big deal. It will go away fairly quickly.

Why would that stop you from adding CYA and managing anything else? You can still test pH as your FC will be below 10.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! You guys made me feel better! I will continue on then. My pH is 7.2 right now. The plasterer was here yesterday and he suggested keeping it on the lower side for a little while. I added Alky up, now I will retest in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    So that is about 6 ppm FC. Not a big deal. It will go away fairly quickly.

Why would that stop you from adding CYA and managing anything else? You can still test pH as your FC will be below 10.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    It will degrade fairly quickly. Half life of unstabilized FC is about 20-30mins in full sun
    Hi, starting our build 10/10/17 45'x24.5' ~20K gallon, IG Pool (3'9"x4'9"x5'9") with 10x8.5 sun shelf w/ 2 bubblers and a 5G led spa light ,30'x18" raised beam w/ 3 stone scuppers, Plaster/Stonescapes mini pebble white (zanzibar), 3hp pentair intelliflow VSF, 2hp Superflo for water features, IC40 SWG, 420 cartridge filter, TF-100, pool math, Pentair 820 robot for the cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Alky up
    You know that is baking soda. Can get a huge bag for a few dollars at Walmart -----------
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    Marty

6. Back To Top    #6

What's your TA at now? You might not need to add anything
    20' X 40' IG vinyl lined; 31,300 gallons; built ~30years ago
    Hayward 1HP Single Speed Pump w/Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2006,Rola-chem sodium hypo feeder/ 15 gallon tank
    Fill from soft/neutral well water, low flowrate well pump

7. Back To Top    #7

wow. plenty more lessons ahead. THANKS.

You know that is baking soda. Can get a huge bag for a few dollars at Walmart -----------

8. Back To Top    #8

Marty

9. Back To Top    #9

Exactly. Dont wait on the cya.

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Turbo T Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).