Rookie mistake.... big time

Grjones1020

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
La porte, Tx.
So I have a new pool. The plaster is about 3.5 weeks old. The pool builder has drug his feet and I wanted to put some bleach in the water to make sure it didn't start getting algae. I put wayyyyy too much without thinking. I put a little over a gallon of 12%. My CYA is 0, it's not too sunny in Texas right now, how long will it take to dissipate before I can step back and use pool math unlike I did without thinking?

So that is about 6 ppm FC. Not a big deal. It will go away fairly quickly.

Why would that stop you from adding CYA and managing anything else? You can still test pH as your FC will be below 10.

Thanks! You guys made me feel better! I will continue on then. My pH is 7.2 right now. The plasterer was here yesterday and he suggested keeping it on the lower side for a little while. I added Alky up, now I will retest in the evening.

So that is about 6 ppm FC. Not a big deal. It will go away fairly quickly.

Why would that stop you from adding CYA and managing anything else? You can still test pH as your FC will be below 10.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Matt!

It will degrade fairly quickly. Half life of unstabilized FC is about 20-30mins in full sun

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.