New Multiport Valve - how far do I go

Dcrimp

Jan 30, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
So hopefully a quick question for someone who has gone through this.

History
1. Purchased a house with a pool 4 months ago, no idea how old the filter is, but it is a Waterco S600. It doesn't leak (that I can see around the actual filter) and filters well, although I will likely replace sand with glass over the winter.
2. Recently the MPV handle snapped, but in a way that I cannot simply replace the handle.

Options
1. I can purchase a MPV top assembly for $105, this is everything down to the spider gasket, but not including the spider Gasket.
2. Given I am reading that a lot of people need to replace the spider gasket, I thought it might be beneficial to do this also, but this will cost an additional $55 (Total $160)
3. For $180, I can then get a complete new MPV, but this does not come with an O-ring (it's the screw on type). (Total cost of new MPV $180)
4. If I add the o-ring ($30) the job is now $210 for a total MPV replacement.

So, is it a $105 job or is it a $210 job.

In your experience, would I be better served to simply commit to the full job now, or should I simply stick with the top assembly, or anything in between.

Note, I haven't actually taken the top assembly apart to look at the conditions of the spider gasket as I don't really know what to look for. I can do this if this will help someone provide me direction.

As always, thanks for helping a newbie pool owner out.

Easier for me to say as it's not my money, but given the fact that the age and overall condition of the MPV is unknown from the previous owner, I would start fresh with a new assembly. In time, other things may go wrong, so it would be reassuring to know that the MPV is new and should not be the cause of any problems later for quite some time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.