New F/Glass build DownUnder - Adelaide - What have I let myself in for?... :)

They would have been and gone by now! Costas has a beautiful pool in his yard and we can’t see it [emoji31]

Yes its in....!

Was out to dinner tonight - Just got back on my PC after placing my daughter to bed.

Here are the pics from today's activities:

First up my friend started the tiling for the pool equipment room. He needs to come back tomorrow to finish off due to the crane lift getting in the way this afternoon.

XUyHtL.jpg

While that was going on, one of the pool contractors was screeding the gravel base and checking levels with a laser level. Note the use of the two 50mm pool pipes for a screeding base (multiple use for the pipes!)... worked a treat. Once the gravel was set correctly he simply removed the pipes and filled in the voids with a bit of extra gravel.

kv1ogN.jpg

So as midday approaches the pool turns up direct from Victoria. Truckie left VIC in the early hours of the morning and arrived at my place just after 12:00pm.

Is that the right colour/shape...??? Yes I think it is.

3Fox8i.jpg

So now we wait for around 45mins before this goliath turns up and parks up against my driveway:

8IYPAd.jpg

y0zLpB.jpg

Note the 'crab' steering feature which allows each set of 6 wheels on each side to turn at independent angles to allow the crane to track sideways or to facilitate tight turning radii.

LCHJDz.jpg

First step was to bring in the 10T counterweights with another truck.

01dgma.jpg

Outriggers extended and crane lifted up off the ground:

OtMU6A.jpg

Crane lifts it's own 10T counterweights off the delivery truck and places them onto a temporary loading zone on itself. Once all counterweights are loaded, the crane slews 180 degrees and automatically locks these counterweights into place at the very rear of the crane.

rEdaLa.jpg

Now we're ready to roll:

Due to the difficult tree and power line locations, the boom was required to extend to its maximum length of 60m (Approx 197Ft).

Note the slight curvature of the boom...!

sb6l6W.jpg

Ft8BoK.jpg

So due to the tight location of trees and powerlines - The pool lift had to begin with the pool set quite some distance up my street away from the crane.

Pool lift started in amongst the gum trees but clear of power lines....

L9mqZU.jpg

Pool now half way up past the tall trees but hiding in amongst the trees about 3 houses up from mine.

dgjSwJ.jpg

Pool now clearing the trees and crane starts to slew clockwise:

o8Y3Yr.jpg

Pool has now now trespassed over a couple of neighbouring houses/properties as the crane had to slew approx 120 degrees to reach my backyard. It actually did not traverse over my house rooftop at all.

Ubm1Ax.jpg

Pool lowered into its final resting place - Only required two more short lifts and lowering actions to get it levelled 100%.

uiWC2f.jpg

Time to pack up the big toy....

Shot from my backyard.

XSFxhG.jpg

My street was blocked off totally for a couple of hours. With a school just around the corner it was a reasonably quiet (traffic wise) afternoon due to the school holidays which end this week.

X7zNhP.jpg

j4XTwW.jpg

So now we have a giant bath tub in the back yard.

Crew will be back on Thursday for further work (mainly plumbing) and Friday for the bond beam and a few truck loads of fill water etc.

KRyQ89.jpg

Ok, that was well worth waiting for! Thanks for so many great pics and commentary. The crane lift would have had my heart in my stomach. Is it meant to bend like that? [emoji15] Looking at the way they did the lift I can see why we were told by the fibreglass companies that they couldn’t install in our location. Did you evacuate your neighbours? Picturing a little old lady casually looking out he window and seeing a huge pool shell floating overhead! I bet it’s such a relief to have it in the ground?! Glad all went well.

Is it meant to bend like that? [emoji15]

I guess so... :)

Did you evacuate your neighbours?

Not quite - My direct neighbour on the pool lift side came over to chat and watch while the other two neighbours further up were watching from their front yards...:crazy:

I thought that the crane crew might have said something to them eg: run away etc but nope, they just hoisted away, up & over their heads. It was very quick - all over in about a minute or two once they cleared the large trees in the street.

All the ancillary pool equipment also turned up yesterday - I have been checking off the delivery docket this morning and my pool pump is a no show - Looks like someone forgot to actually order it as it is not on the delivery note either.

I guess they won't get too far with the plumbing on Thurs/Fri without that...

Distributor is only 15 minutes away so they should be able to get one delivered tomorrow.

All the other bits seem to be there - Acquainting myself with barrel unions, laterals, multiport valves and the like...!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What’s on your agenda for today?

Fairly quiet day today being Anzac day etc.

Some further tiling to be done in the afternoon so the room can be ready for grouting.

I did take some pics of some ancillary items - mainly of viewing interest to others in other countries which tend to use different brands that are not necessarily all that common DownUnder.

Opted for PAL lights for the pool - Chose three lights so it was important that I could control their brightness remotely so they don't run at full brightness all the time and the ability to control the centre light independent of the others - The PCR-4 controller allows for that plus wifi functionality, no more losing remotes etc..!

ValUDN.jpg

Cleaner still in its box.....

BpUJ8j.jpg

Multiport head with 50mm ports:

a6ZJvc.jpg

All important SWG - I selected the largest size available from Astralpool (45gm/Hr output).

kD2Bo2.jpg

PB stated that these are fantastic as a pre-filter (his opinion) and swears by them - Didn't cost all that much in the whole scheme of things, so I thought OK we can try it.

4AXJN2.jpg

Chose a fairly large sand filter - Astralpool CA400 which is 800mm in diameter - Uses approx. 200Kg of fill. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of back washing required as compared to a smaller unit.

It is a relatively new design from Astralpool and one that utilises an injection mould design.

MsNSKM.jpg

Factory video of them undergoing pressure/leak testing:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42zom4JEaLA

[/URL]

That cyclone looks neat. I can't wait for you to give us a review of it.

Good job checking your parts list. We had on build where they left out a part but the pool owners had signed off on the list so when it came time to install it they were on the hook for the item. They go lucky in that the company sent them another one on good faith but it did set the the end of the build back a couple of days while they waited for the item to come in.

Kim:kim:

Incredible pictures. Thanks for sharing!

No problem - Glad you enjoyed the pics....:goodjob:

That cyclone looks neat. I can't wait for you to give us a review of it.

Good job checking your parts list.

For sure I'll give an appraisal on the cyclone filter - Invented here in Aus, although it simply looks like a modified Dyson vacuum cleaner barrel...:p

I was definitely going to go over the parts list - especially as no one on site actually signed for the gear.

A courier turns up, noted all the activity going on and then simply just unloaded it all in my driveway and then proceeded to drive off...

BTW - As I was very curious (Electronics/technical background) I did spend some time going over the filter this morning to see exactly how it is put together.

I thought it would be wise to get accustomed to how the laterals all fit inside the bowels of the tub and to primarily ensure that they were not a tight fit from factory which could make removal at some future date difficult.

While I was doing that - I also took some pics for you all:

Quick peek inside.........

AakYjV.jpg

I started unscrewing the laterals and was glad to find that none of them were installed very tight - All were just one/two finger tight which would ensure that they would have unscrewed anyway with very little force.

Closeup of one of the laterals - Note the fine slots for the water to pass through but block the media from entering the pool.

DvOz3N.jpg

Note how laterals have an upwards tilt when mounted to the stand pipe hub assembly.

7MQ6tf.jpg

Astral pool advertise this new style filter having improved flow rates over their previous designs. I suspect it must simply be due to the slot design in the laterals but also the slots that exist in the hub assembly mounted at the bottom of the stand pipe.

Not sure if this is a common feature with other brands of filters?

iyHNzM.jpg

All 10 laterals screwed (lightly) back into place and stand pipe centered etc - ready for installation...!

Hardest bit of the operation was correctly centering the stand pipe back over its mount.

qdlXIc.jpg

I’m fact, you might be my go to guy for my equipment questions since you have pretty much the same stuff! Which pump are you getting?

No problem...

Pump I should be receiving is an Astral Viron P320XT - This is their common variable speed pump which most people would be using if going with Astral products. They do have one other slightly more powerful variable speed pump but the majority of installs would not require that sort of power.

BTW - You mentioned earlier that you will be going with PAL lights - Do you know which model as there are a couple of different types with different features.

No problem...

Pump I should be receiving is an Astral Viron P320XT - This is their common variable speed pump which most people would be using if going with Astral products. They do have one other slightly more powerful variable speed pump but the majority of installs would not require that sort of power.

BTW - You mentioned earlier that you will be going with PAL lights - Do you know which model as there are a couple of different types with different features.

Yes, we’ve got the p320XT pump. We are also getting an astral boost pump installed with our heat pump. I’m not sure on the lights. Probably just fairly basic ones. SPSA contract just says pal, but will post a description I found in the quote. You might have to zoom in to read it.

687d21dd79c064d8a90e38731c73d956.jpg

I’m not sure on the lights.

Yeh - A particular part number/description would help to work out the exact model.

My PB was not too clued up about light options - They initially offered the basic ones which you control via switching the power on/off to the lights.

I actually chased up the PAL lights and controller numbers/description for him to purchase for me.

Your description states Wifi control so you may end up with the same controller as I have [PCR-4].

If you get the WiFi variant - ensure that it has latest Version 5 WiFi module which is compatible with their latest app. Their older V4 is not compatible with their new app. Refer to the pic of my PCR4 box above - Note the small blue sticker indicating it has the latest 'Colour Touch 5' WiFi module fitted.

The fact you have 10!!!!! laterals is what does the increased flow! I only have 4 or 5.

Here is a link to show you how they work. I found it very helpful to understand what was happening: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

NOTE-always rinse after you backwash..............it settles the sand back down. You should also back wash when you first get the sand in the filter. It may be "dirty". LOL

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.