Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool excavation/removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pool excavation/removal

Any ideas on how to seek out highly skilled & experienced pool removal experts here in L.A. who are honest and charge a reasonable price would be appreciated. If any
    responders to this post do this kind of work, I'll need a detailed/comprehensive step-by-step plan from beginning to end-- with ALL costs included, as well as bona fide referrals. Also, if you would, please give me an idea of the alternative ways to do this, e.g. dirt fill-in, dirt/concrete combo. fill-in, rocks &/or pebble fill in, with at least 1.5 ft. of topsoil at the top. Oh, and how long a job would this be, including how many days the neighbors would have to listen to jackhammers. Any assistance with ideas or proposals would certainly be appreciated. I want this pool gone. It would have been done 10+ years ago, if not for a RE agent's advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool excavation/removal

Well hello there! Ummmmmmmmm so why do you want it gone? We might be able to help you come to like your pool if not love it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

o,

Welcome to TFP.... A great place to find the answers to all your pool removal questions...

I personally know nothing about pool removal, but we had a neighbor down the street that had one buried...

They came in and punched a dozen holes in the bottom of the pool and then used a small bulldozer and pushed the pool walls into the center of the pool.. Compacted it down with the bulldozer and added dirt over the top. Just took a couple of days.

I have no idea of the cost, but would think burying one would be a lot less than removing it all together.

Let's see if we can get some of our members to chime in with their thoughts..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Be sure to check on any municipal codes on the requirements for removal of a pool structure.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I do about a half dozen fill/in removals per season, to both concrete & liner pools.
    Pools are outbuildings & the removal or fill in requires a permit.
    The walls floor or both will need to be removed & inspected by municipalities before backfill..

This is fairness to any future owners of the property.

Often times it’s “cheaper to keep’er” & renovate/repair.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not a direct help but the house behind ours that recently was sold had their vinyl pool just filled in. Granted I never saw the former owner in it nor the new one's so to each their own - made me cry on the inside a bit though!

But being able to look over the fence I think they just had 2 'guys' fill it in over the course of a few weekends with some dirt/large rocks and used a small plate compactor to compact the dirt down and a weekend of jack-hammering out the concrete decking. I don't think the liner was even removed from what I recall seeing. All the filter, pumps, and lines are still on the equipment pad. I see forms now going up for a concrete patio to go over top the pool.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by blbncsu View Post
    Not a direct help but the house behind ours that recently was sold had their vinyl pool just filled in. Granted I never saw the former owner in it nor the new one's so to each their own - made me cry on the inside a bit though!

But being able to look over the fence I think they just had 2 'guys' fill it in over the course of a few weekends with some dirt/large rocks and used a small plate compactor to compact the dirt down and a weekend of jack-hammering out the concrete decking. I don't think the liner was even removed from what I recall seeing. All the filter, pumps, and lines are still on the equipment pad. I see forms now going up for a concrete patio to go over top the pool.
    Wow! That’s scary. Without good compaction (maybe wait a year to let some rain and water to hit it), that deck is going to move and crack all over the place. No plate compactor is going to give reasonable compaction over the depth of a pool. Looks like they were going cheap on the pool “removal”...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Wow! That’s scary. Without good compaction (maybe wait a year to let some rain and water to hit it), that deck is going to move and crack all over the place. No plate compactor is going to give reasonable compaction over the depth of a pool. Looks like they were going cheap on the pool “removal”...
    That also puts them at a huge liability when selling, if they don't disclose that hidden mess. It is scary!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    That also puts them at a huge liability when selling, if they don't disclose that hidden mess. It is scary!

Maddie
    & when the town does the grand list adjustments..

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    & when the town does the grand list adjustments..
    pg,

Keep in mind we all do not live in Connecticut... I suspect there are all kinds of different rules and regulations depending on what State you live in and even where you live in that State...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by okronk View Post
    Any ideas on how to seek out highly skilled & experienced pool removal experts here in L.A. who are honest and charge a reasonable price would be appreciated.
    I'm sorry you want to fill in your pool. What makes you want to do that?

I will say that demolition isn't usually relegated to the highly skilled worker. Those with high skills are usually the ones building the pools. They usually send out the big guys with strong backs that can handle the heavy hammers. There isn't much skill needed to demo something, especially if you aren't trying to save any of it.

It may be worth a call to your local code office to see if there are any gov't rules/codes and to see if a permit is needed. I would guess they say yes since you are replacing it with a poured patio.

I would think the equipment could be hauled off by a scrap company. underground plumbing could be capped off and buried. The main pool could be prepared and filled in if allowed. If not, it would take some equipment to break any concrete and trucks to haul away debris.

I'd just make sure that whatever quotes you do get include the cost of removal of debris from site. You would also want a company with insurance to cover any damages to the stuff your didn't want demo'd.

You would have to determine if the cost is reasonable. Get a couple of quotes if possible. It isn't skilled work, just hard labor.