Woke up to pool 2-3ft low :(

Let’s sum this up

Just bought a home a month ago, all seemed ok, multiport selector valve been sticky and I am thinking just a matter of time and I’ll replace

Last night I ran backwash for 1 minute, and then the cycle wash off so it will not run until 9AM the following morning. Woke up and oooo dear lord the pool in 2-3ft under....

I’m lost and don’t know why? Will a back gasket cause it to gravity feed backwards even with the pump not running???? Or do I have bigger issues;(

Woke up to pool 2-3ft low ?

Let me add some info

It drop 2.3 foot and then it did not drop any more... checked for any visible cracks etc

Pool is a inground drop in, and about 3 years old...

Pulled multiport off and the gasket is toast

Just not sure if that is bad, with the pump off if it will cause like a siphon effect

Noticed no bubbles the day before the night ( last night this happen)

It does sound as though your multiport malfunctioned - either internally getting stuck or the spider gasket itself. Perhaps got stuck in waste mode or created a siphon effect as you noted. Curious, do you have a main drain as well or just a skimmer? In any case, make note of any info on your multiport valve so you can make repairs as soon as possible. If you are able to get a temporary seal on that multiport with the old gasket, maybe try to run it in recycle mode just to keep the water moving for chemical purposes? If you can't, the water should be cold enough to deter algae for a while until you get the valve repaired.

It does sound as though your multiport malfunctioned - either internally getting stuck or the spider gasket itself. Perhaps got stuck in waste mode or created a siphon effect as you noted. Curious, do you have a main drain as well or just a skimmer? In any case, make note of any info on your multiport valve so you can make repairs as soon as possible. If you are able to get a temporary seal on that multiport with the old gasket, maybe try to run it in recycle mode just to keep the water moving for chemical purposes? If you can't, the water should be cold enough to deter algae for a while until you get the valve repaired.

Thanks for reply :)
I have a skimmer and below in the deep end is 2 large circles that suck water In as well....

It’s only went down and the day at that level. Similar to a siphon effect :/ I took multivalve apart and spider gasket is toast and it just flattened out all the way. So I mess with a little reinstalled. Ordered new altogether

Last night tho level was spot on. Back washed for 2 mins, turned pump off, switch valve back to filter and never started pump back up. Work up this morning to low low pool:/

You should put a vacuum breaker on the waste line.

You can use an air admittance valve from the local hardware store also called a cheater vent, mini vent or in-line vent.

It's basically a check valve that threads into 1.5" npt threads and allows air in to break a vacuum seal to prevent siphoning but it seals against pressure.

This also prevents water hammer when you change from backwash or rinse back to filter.

You put a T in the line with 1.5" female threads pointing up. You can use a special T with slip x slip x thread or slip x slip x slip with a female threaded adaptor to screw the vent into.

Until you get a vent, remove the sight glass after rinse but before changing back to filter. This will break the seal and allow the waste line to drain.

You can also put a ball valve on the line as extra precaution and a union so that you can check for leaks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.