Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baffling In Ground Spa Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Baffling In Ground Spa Leak

Have an in ground spa and pool. Spa is raised above pool by a couple of feet (see pics attached). Some mornings before the pump comes on I have lost half the water in my spa (about to the jet line - approx. 500 gallons). Others mornings there is negligible water missing. Does not seem to be temperature related. I have checked the jets for leaks using dye. I have run many tests and have determined that if I allow the pump to be turned off at the end of the day by my Jandy system, I lose half the water by the next morning. If I manually turn it off at the end of the day before the timer does, I lose almost none by the next morning. Sounds weird, I know, and as an engineer, this is keeping me up at night. I have methodically verified this multiple times. Regardless, the pool level does not change up or down. I have verified that regardless of which method I use, the valve positions do not change on turn off and turn on. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baffling In Ground Spa Leak

Are you sure it isnít a check valve or one of the automated valves not closing all the way?

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Seems that would put the water into the pool rather than disappearing - true? Pool level does not rise when the 500 gallons goes missing.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Light fixtures are always a suspect.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by poolheat101 View Post
    Seems that would put the water into the pool rather than disappearing - true? Pool level does not rise when the 500 gallons goes missing.
    Yes, thatís true. Although, depending on size of the pool, the rise could appear negligible.

Weird that it doesnít leak when shut off manually. What do you do to shut it off manually vs using the automation?

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

ph,

Have you, or have you not, checked the check valve that prevents just the problem you are having???

When a Spa drains down to the returns and stops, it is almost always the check valve.

How about posting a picture of your equipment pad showing your Return valve and any other valves in the general area...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

I do manual shutoff from interior Jandy control and using the breaker outside. Both have same result - negligible leak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    ph,

Have you, or have you not, checked the check valve that prevents just the problem you are having???

When a Spa drains down to the returns and stops, it is almost always the check valve.

How about posting a picture of your equipment pad showing your Return valve and any other valves in the general area...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Have not looked at the check valves as I assumed that since I had a large net loss of water, as opposed to going between the pool and spa, that they are not suspect. What is the best way to verify them? Pic of equipment attached.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Esloser View Post
    Yes, that’s true. Although, depending on size of the pool, the rise could appear negligible.

Weird that it doesn’t leak when shut off manually. What do you do to shut it off manually vs using the automation?
    I do manual shutoff from interior Jandy control and using the breaker outside. Both have same result - negligible leak.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just wanted to be sure we are all on the same page - you are adding large amounts of water to your system due to the spa level going down. Correct?
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

10. Back To Top    #10

ph,

Any idea why the Return valve (the one on the left in your pic) is in the position it is in???

Normally it would be one way or the other, not in the middle?

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    Just wanted to be sure we are all on the same page - you are adding large amounts of water to your system due to the spa level going down. Correct?
    Correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    ph,

Any idea why the Return valve (the one on the left in your pic) is in the position it is in???

Normally it would be one way or the other, not in the middle?

Jim R.
    Spa returns. I think in that position (middle) you get some flow to the spa jets in pool mode to have the water spill over. In spa mode it moves to the right for full flow to the jets. Am assuming full left is no flow to the jets.

12. Back To Top    #12

ph,

In the position the Return valve is in, if the check valve in the lower left of your picture is leaking, the Spa water will just flow back into your pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.