SW Chicago/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My wife is going to the spa today to go into a float tank. Once she explained what it is, my first thought was how clean can the water be. I did some reading and in addition to a TON of Epsom salts, the water is filtered and run through both a UV and Ozone system. Most do not use any type of chlorine due to the 'chlorine' (CC) smell in an enclosed space. While it is better than just a communal bathtub like I first though, still not something I would want to soak in (I don't get the whole spa thing anyways). I just wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts or experiences on these tanks.

Right, but that is how the web sites that discussed the sanitation referred to the smell. That's why i put it in quotes.

Also another reason I would not want to get in one.

1 person at a time soaking??

Depends on how long they treat the water for in between customers. The water itself can probably stay sanitary for a while but the big problem would be biofilm accumulation in the pipes. The biofilms would become reservoir of disease transmission that would not necessarily give off a smell. The ozone and UV will have no effect on that. That would be my concern ...

These things were just exempted from my States public health code, with the demand they are drained & filled between bathers.. i don’t believe the logic & I know this was an effort to ease burden on businesses..
I find the deregulation contrary to public health & safety.

My personal perspective on these tanks is they are repugnant. & joyful nailed it on the head with film, fungus, waste marinating in these thing & transferring from one fill to the next.

As a stretch a sealed unit will likely benefit from uv & ozone disinfection, (I just used the “D” word, not sanitization) but not personally acceptable to me or a regulating health code.

Disinfection is a good way to refer to it. After a little more research, I found that it is recommend that the water be replaced after every 1000 uses or every 6 months. I also found the standard issued by the 'North American Float Tank Association' (Home - if your interested). They state that there should be a minimum of 3 turn overs between sessions which would allow 95% of the 'solution' to be filtered. Nothing in the standard gives me a good feeling.
One thing they do mention as one of the reasons not to use chlorine is that 'it has been found that most Chlorine and Bromine test kits are inaccurate in floatation tank solution'. Would the Epson salts interfere with the chlorine readings?

My wife did say that it was just OK and she would not do one again. After I told here what I found about them, she took several hot showers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.