Programming my EasyTouch

Dirk,

This web site says..... 4 pump speeds... See this ...EasyTouch PL4 and PSL4 - Pool and Spa Controllers & Automation - Pentair

Using your page above for an example... With the pool mode icon Green, if I click on "Skimmer" both icons are green and the pump will increase to 2500. Is this how your system works??

I really don't know much about the freeze mode... I run my pump 24/7, so I never need it...

But I assumed that you just checked the circuits you wanted to come on with Freeze and they would.. For example.. if you check 'Pool" then the pool circuit would come on any time the temp dropped below 35 degrees... this would turn the pool icon green even if the pool mode was not scheduled to be on... Do you have special circuit just for freeze protection??

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK, looks like another "limit of four" issue.

Yes, more than one mode can be on. Whichever has the higher speed set overrides the other.

And yes, when I had the "On with Freeze" checked for Pool it did come on when the system initiated freeze mode.

No, I don't have a circuit for freeze mode, but you've given me something to try. I currently have four circuits: Pool, Skimmer, Pool Light and Cleaner. If that's the max, then this won't work. But if I can squeeze out another, I could use the SPA circuit, and turn on its "On with Freeze" setting. That would then light up an LED on my Indoor Control Panel, and it would show up in ScreenLogic, too. And it would get me what I was really after, a plot on the history graph! That way I can check if and when freeze mode engaged. Something like that. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Dirk,

I use my Spa mode to do something similar.. I use it to control the heater on my standalone Spa... And it does provide me with the heater history...

Give it a shot and see what happens...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well, that was interesting. I now have this:

freeze screen.jpg

And a clickable Freeze button on the Intelliflo Pool page of ScreenLogic. When I use that button, the pump comes on to the preset pump speed, and the SPA light comes on on the Indoor panel, as does the indicator on the ScreenLogic home page. I have that circuit set to come on with Freeze. And with the heat setting off, I don't expect any weirdness there. And it did plot on the history graph (but that still is labeled "Spa"). So far, so good! We'll see what happens tonight. Thanks for the inspiration.

Oh, I checked and the other three pump speeds still work. Maybe I just canabalized the fourth, which is for solar. But if that's the case, then I'll reprogram come swim season. There is no time of year where I would need both a solar speed and a freeze speed, so I'll adjust per season if I have to.

I have an ET4-light. I am coming to terms with it. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to wring its scrawny little neck for all it's worth!! :evil:

Progress. Using the SPA circuit, I'm able to get some niceties. Better freeze indicators on the Indoor Control Panel and ScreenLogic Home, IntelliFlo and Pool pages, and a plot on the History Graph. All good. I renamed the circuit "Low Temp":

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.44.22 AM.jpg

I can add extra pump speeds, but I still might be bumping into the limit of four. The ET is not acting as expected. I can add a "Low Temp" speed for the pump, along with the "Freeze Mode Active" speed, and the others (more than four). Pool, Cleaner and Skimmer speeds work as expected. The Freeze Mode Active speed can be set to control the pump speed during freeze mode. But the Low Temp speed doesn't override the Freeze Mode Speed. So that might be the limit. I can't test the Solar Active speed, to see if I can actually have more than four, because I don't want to pump water into the panels this time of year. The mystery is: if I eliminate the Freeze Mode Active from the pump speed list, the system still goes into freeze mode, but uses the Pool speed as the default RPM, not the Low Temp speed, even though Low Temp still lights up (and Pool doesn't). Weird.

Other weirdness: if I click the Cleaner button on the IntelliFlo page, the button turns green, the pump ramps up, and the speed overrides the Freez Mode Active speed setting. Click again and the pump goes back to 900RPM. But if I click the Pool button, the button turns Green for a bit, then back off. But the speed ramps to 1500RPM, with no way to revert back to 900RPM. So that doesn't act very intuitively.

It's my recollection that the Solar Active button lights up green when solar kicks on, you just can't use that button to control things manually. So I think there's a bug in the software that prevents the Freeze Mode Active button from lighting up in freeze mode.

I like the green light on the Indoor Control Panel now. But the Indoor Control Panel did indicate freeze mode, just on the display, like it does for solar. I just hadn't noticed it before. The big plus is the History graph. I can now see if and when the freeze mode kicks in.

As I mentioned, if either the Low Temp or Freeze Mode Active pump speeds rob the Solar Active pump speed from working (the limit of four), then I'll just get rid of those two during solar season. Either way, I've eeked out a little more function from the ET, and found a use for the SPA circuit!

Well, I can't pretend that this hasn't been a somewhat silly pursuit, but in my defense...

Last night as I was heading to bed, I spotted (quite easily) the little green LED on my Indoor Control Panel, alerting me that Freeze Mode had already kicked in for the night (At midnight! In Central CA!).

It was comforting to know that everything was working as it should...

Oh, and it reminded me to throw the sheet over my two citrus trees!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.