Reboot! Need a cleaner.

Jan 2, 2018
Hollywood, FL
Hi all.

whats up from (relatively) warm South Florida?!

i just redid my whole pool, nex finish new equipment etc. as my pool is nearing the end of curing I need a cleaner. I have had a keepy krauler or similar unit forever. My pool is fairly clean and. Now have a dedicated suction line installed. I’m trying t figure out what to get......I don’t want to spend a lot and don’t need a whole lot. Should I get New keepsake similar? Help me folks. Around here I have never seen another cleaner in use is there a reason for that?

thanks y’all

Most on the forum are switching to or are using robots.

Check Marina Pool online. Also search the forum.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

I like my suction cleaner, but yep, robots are most popular here. Mine is the Pentair Warrior (Rebel) and it's been doing a great job. Another good suction cleaner is the Hayward "The Pool Cleaner"
Kreepy Krauly Warrior In Ground Suction Pool Cleaner with 40' Hose
https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Poolvergnuegen-896584000-013-Cleaner-Automatic/dp/B004KSRJXO

Here's a couple threads with info on the favoured robots:
Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club
Dolphin Supreme M Series Owner’s Club

Robot does most of the brushing and can also do very fine filtering to achieve extremely clear water. Requires a place to plug it in, but that can be fairly far from the pool (add power cord length plus robot cord length, less a couple of feet, with consideration for where the caddy/robot will sit when not in use). The use of a robot separates cleaning from water circulation/chlorination. That is, you can clean the pool whenever you want, regardless of the pump schedule. Remote steering is available. Most people report that the robot does not clean the pool in a perfect pattern like what you see in marketing videos, but it doesn't really matter.

The suction cleaners I mentioned don't brush the pool at all; they just suck up dust/dirt and leaves. I can't personally recommend other types, but there are suction cleaners that rub the surface as well. A suction cleaner can only achieve the same level of water clarity as your filter. Many people here suggest that more electrical power is consumed by a suction cleaner than by a robot, but that hasn't been my experience. Debris goes to the strainer baskets and filter, so no extra activities are required for cleaning, although cleaning baskets and filter will be more frequent. Suction cleaners look tidier when left in the pool (no tangled cord). If you choose a suction cleaner and plan to use it through a dedicated vacuum port, a leaf canister on the hose is recommended. If connected to the skimmer, the skimmer basket does the job of protecting your suction side plumbing against blockages.

Pressure cleaners cost a lot to operate and are not recommended.

All cleaner manuals suggest removing the cleaner when not in use, but most people leave them in, except when you want the pool looking it's best, and for larger groups swimming. When stored out of the pool, cleaners will look their best and usually last longer if kept in the shade.

Just my two cents based on five pools and four different cleaners. There are lots of opinions, and many different situations, limitations and optimum solutions. All the best with your decision. Cleaners do cut down on a fair bit pool work! :) On the other hand, weekly brushing and sweeping dust toward the main drain, or manually vacuuming, is not the end of the world either!

Given that you have a fairly large pool. I would look at a robot. You can check out the smart pool scrubber robots. Not the best built robots, but the parts are relatively cheap to replace when its out of warranty and mine has been going strong for over a year now. They are dual drive so they get themselves off of the main drains fairly easily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.