need help troubleshooting spa jet pump

zack1

Jun 26, 2012
I have an old tiger river spa with a jet pump (Watkins Wavemaster 7000) that stopped working after my kids turned it on and off about 50 times in a row. The heater and low speed circulation pump still work.

When I press the button to turn on the jet pump, I hear a click and the indicator light on the circuit board turns on, but the pump motor does not turn on.
I removed the pump and connected it to a 120V outlet - the pump motor turns on.
If I measure voltage at the black terminal on the circuit board, I get ~115-120 V when the jets are off. When I turn the jets on, I get 0V.

I was wondering if this might be due to a bad relay on the circuit board. I'm pretty far out of my element here, but I would like to understand what is wrong before calling in an expert.

IMG_0925.jpg

Zack,

Sounds like a bad relay to me also..

I am not sure which "black" terminal you are measuring. :confused:

If you measure between black wire on P19 and the white wire just to the right P (something) you should get 120 volts when you want the pump on and zero when the pump should be off.

I am not familiar with your specific unit, but I think most Watkins spas use two GFCI breakers.. I would makes sure that both CB's are on...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for your reply, Jim.

Both CBs are on. The black terminal I was referring to was P19. I get 0V when I connect multimeter electrodes to P19 and P? (white terminal to the right of P19) when the pump should be "on".

Apparently I could order a refurbished circuit board for ~$300 or I could also order a replacement relay for ~$3.00. I am assuming the relay that is bad is one of the 18V 16A relays just above the pump leads. If that is correct, the question is, could a novice (me) attempt to replace the relays on the circuit board without causing major damage to the spa or to myself? I've replaced bad circuit boards in electronics before but I've never soldered individual components. From what I can see on youtube, it doesn't look impossible. However, I admittedly don't know exactly what I'm doing.

Advice from experts is much appreciated.

zack,

It would be best if you had a friend that has some soldering experience do it... but it is not all that hard to do.

My thought is that it does not work now... So you can replace the relay for $3 bucks, or replace the PCB for $300 bucks.

I would try to replace the relay, and if you fail, you are only out $3 bucks and no worse off than you are today.

You could then replace the PCB...

The basic problem with un-soldering something is that you have to remove all the solder on all the pins before it will come out.. the pins are on the opposite side from your picture of course. A rework technician would use a solder iron with a built-in vacuum to suck up the old solder... or use what is called a "solder sucker".. which is a little like a turkey baster when you let go of the bulb, or simple "solder wick" which is a small fine wire "belt" that attracts the old solder.

It isn't working now, so what have you got to lose??? :p (Maddie... I did it again, but fixed it this time.. :p )

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.