Pool Thermometer

David0408

Oct 16, 2017
San Antonio, TX
How important is a pool thermometer? I'm sure I need one. Any recommendations? Something that can survive south TX sun?

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
Hayward S244T sand filter
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit
City water (No restriction)

I grabbed a simple one from the local pool store. I have it tied to the inside lid of my skimmer, so it's dangling in there. Out of the sun, away from swimmers, but works fine. It's good to know your temp because it can be an important factor to understanding your CSI level as on the Poolmath Calculator.

I bought a floating one at the local Big Box Hardware store for about $7. It came with a string to allow you to measure the temp at the surface or dangle the thermometer about a foot below the surface. That string will not stand up to the sun and chlorine for very long. I removed the string and replaced it with an 18" stainless steel wire fishing leader. That modified floating thermometer has been in my pool for over two years and is as accurate as I need it. The only drawback is you may've to use a skimmer pole to retrieve for checking the temp!

I wasted $29 on a floating bluetooth one that rarely would work (the bluetooth) and constantly floated into the skimmer. :brickwall:

So this coming year I'm going back to the cheapie ones and letting it float suspended from a short piece of pool noodle.

Maddie :flower:

While you are making revisions -- It is better to put the information you show each time in your post in your signature. Cleans things up. See the Getting Started link for Signature suggestions.

Thanks ---

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.