New to TFP and building a pool!

awpoll

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
McDonough, Ga.
Hello TFP folks from McDonough, Ga.

I've been a member on here since summer of 2016. I've read several posts that have helped my wife and I decide on what style and type of pool to build. We've been interviewing pool builders and friends who have recently built pools. We have decide to go with a concrete free form pool. At our last home we had an AG pool. Since moving a couple of years ago we've really missed having a pool. This week we took the first step towards building our pool. We now have approval from our county's environmental department to proceed with the process. Next step is a building permit. I'm looking forward to interacting with folks here on TFP.

Here are my ideas -
salt water pool app. 20 X 40
shotcrete pool - shallow end 42" deep end 9 - 10'. Swim out in deep end.
quartzscape - Tahoe blue or similar
diving board
deck jets
waterfall - sheet style (not cascading over rocks)
pentair equipment - hp? Pump type?
Poured in place concrete coping. Coping and decking will be two separate pours.
Stamped colored concrete decking

Re: New to TFP Forum

HI! Welcome to TFP! So neat that you are going to be building your dream pool! I can't wait to see it happen!

I am tempted to move this post to the Under Construction section. Let me know if you want me to. You could also start a thread over there so we can follow along with you on your build.

Kim:kim:

Hi, and congrats on going forward with your new pool!

Since you have a ? about equipment, I'll just say I have a Pentair Variable SPeed pump and absolutely LOVE it. Its not expensive to operate, gives me a lot of flow flexibility if and when I need it, for chem mixing and super-filtering or purely for fun, and it is SUPER quiet. They cost a little more up front, but in my experience, absolutely worth it. That's my .02

Hi awpoll,

We share a few similarities with your proposed ideas, including the sheer descent waterfall(s), I think.
Mostly, I wanted to mention that we re-plastered with Tahoe Blue Quartzscape this past summer. We are definitely happy with the color. I'll just warn that it was a shocking color on install day. It looked like a freak version of blue cotton candy!

Here is a pic so you can see the final product.

View attachment 71449

Hi awpoll,

We share a few similarities with your proposed ideas, including the sheer descent waterfall(s), I think.
Mostly, I wanted to mention that we re-plastered with Tahoe Blue Quartzscape this past summer. We are definitely happy with the color. I'll just warn that it was a shocking color on install day. It looked like a freak version of blue cotton candy!

Here is a pic so you can see the final product.

View attachment 71449
Dodger - this is perfect. I love the color of your pool finish. That's exactly what we are looking for.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum everyone. Here is my ideas on paper so far. I’ve also updated my signature.
2E229AAC-F7AA-49FB-A941-B41966A5EAE2.jpg

I noticed that I didn’t label the 14’x24’ area. That is an elevated concrete patio.
Some questions-

- I’m thinking one Pentair VS pump will be sufficient for my design. The water features won’t be running all the time. My equipment pad will be level with the pool decking. Thoughts?
- what size plumbing for returns, drains and skimmers? I’m planning on 2” pipe.

I like your design! Very well done. Have you looked at the slop from the 3'5" to 9'5"? I would think about moving to 4' instead to lessen the slop to that wonderful diving area! Of course 4'5" would be even better!!

Lights-I see you have them listed but don't show the placement. You don't want them shining in anyone eyes like towards the house or such.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ll have to look at the depth again. I️ think once we start digging I’ll have a better idea of the depth that we want to be at.
Regarding the lights, I’m not sure which ones I’m going to use. If I use a traditional niche then I’ll probably install one in the deep end facing towards the waterfall. The other would probably go in the shallow end facing the deep end. But I️ don’t know which LEDs I️ want to use at the moment.

Perfect. That company isn’t far from me. Sweet. Great info. I’ll have to read more about their products. I️ am thinking about adding a couple of bubblers to the long step. It would be nice to light the waterfall, deck jets and bubblers.

I️ think once we start digging I’ll have a better idea of the depth that we want to be at.

Kim has you on to a key point here. I feel strongly if you wait until the digging starts, it is too late. Nothing will become obvious while the backhoe or bobcat is excavating. It's messy that day and often the elevations around the pool are not final. The digger will want to know the plan before beginning. You want to identify two things related to depth. The elevation of the pool itself (top of the coping) relative to everything else and the pools depths.

Pool elevation is important because of what can happen such as in this thread...which is not the only time it's happened for sure.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/150308-Pool-build-Southwest-FL-Tampa?p=1367013&viewfull=1#post1367013

A few comments on pool water depth. Our pool is quite similar. It's 2' shorter and 3' - 8 1/2' deep. It's only 3' deep for about 1" of length and is 3' 6" by about 8" in. Then it's a gradual slope to about 4 1/2' then a steep slope to 8 1/2' which is pretty flat for maybe 4' in length. Don't expect your pool depth to be 3 1/2' deep anywhere near the area you have labeled as 3 1/2'. Further, going to 10' in depth, I strongly advise you to start at 4'. Every little bit of a deeper start will make the slope less steep. It will already be steep, which isn't really as big of a deal as people make it out to be, but also, 3 1/2' is very shallow to stand in. Kids grow fast.

Just food for thought.

It NEVER hurts to get over-involved in details. It may hurt the PB, but it never hurts the final product.

Agree with the other comments of depth. We are in the final part of construction and we only went to 8 feet and the slope is pretty steep on our 40 foot pool. Still OK, but if was 9 or 10 feet deep, I think it would be too steep.

Starting with a 4 foot depth and/or extending the length to allow for more gradual slope might be something to consider.
See our pics at our build thread:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...uda-(just-south-of-Weird)-Texas-November-2017

Kim has you on to a key point here. I feel strongly if you wait until the digging starts, it is too late. Nothing will become obvious while the backhoe or bobcat is excavating. It's messy that day and often the elevations around the pool are not final. The digger will want to know the plan before beginning. You want to identify two things related to depth. The elevation of the pool itself (top of the coping) relative to everything else and the pools depths.

Pool elevation is important because of what can happen such as in this thread...which is not the only time it's happened for sure.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/150308-Pool-build-Southwest-FL-Tampa?p=1367013&viewfull=1#post1367013

A few comments on pool water depth. Our pool is quite similar. It's 2' shorter and 3' - 8 1/2' deep. It's only 3' deep for about 1" of length and is 3' 6" by about 8" in. Then it's a gradual slope to about 4 1/2' then a steep slope to 8 1/2' which is pretty flat for maybe 4' in length. Don't expect your pool depth to be 3 1/2' deep anywhere near the area you have labeled as 3 1/2'. Further, going to 10' in depth, I strongly advise you to start at 4'. Every little bit of a deeper start will make the slope less steep. It will already be steep, which isn't really as big of a deal as people make it out to be, but also, 3 1/2' is very shallow to stand in. Kids grow fast.

Just food for thought.

It NEVER hurts to get over-involved in details. It may hurt the PB, but it never hurts the final product.

Great points. I️ probably should have written 3 1/2’ closer to the steps. So if I️ start out in the shallow end at 3 1/2’ - how far out do you think I️ should start my slope to the diving depth?

I think the shallow end should all be on a small slope then it increases in the middle section. Then flat on he deep one. Just ask you PB to give you their proposed slope profile for a dive pool (which should be in accordance with the above link) and go from their. I wouldn’t bother worrying too much until you see it. Then go from there.

Your skimmers are awfully close to each other. How are the wind patterns in your area? Also I would angle each return a bit all in the same direction to aid in water flow. From the look of your pool, I think your swim-out will collect a lot of stuff. Where is the house in that diagram? Great design! I also second getting a lighted sheer descent. I have a 36" sheer and really wish we had paid extra for the lighted one! Your pool overall design is very similar to mine so check out my sigline pics.

Your skimmers are awfully close to each other. How are the wind patterns in your area? Also I would angle each return a bit all in the same direction to aid in water flow. From the look of your pool, I think your swim-out will collect a lot of stuff. Where is the house in that diagram? Great design! I also second getting a lighted sheer descent. I have a 36" sheer and really wish we had paid extra for the lighted one! Your pool overall design is very similar to mine so check out my sigline pics.

Thanks Poolgate. The house is located at the bottom of the page. When you walk out of our back door you’ll go down two steps to the 14’x24’ raised concrete patio. The wind blows from the left side of the drawing to the right side. I️’m really not sure about placement of the skimmers. I placed them on that side because the wind would blow towards them. What would be your recommendation on spacing them further apart?
Where do you think a better location would be for the swim out?
As far as the sheer waterfall, I’m researching those now along with deck jets.
I️ love the feedback on here. I’m trying to be as informed as I️ can be before we break ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.