Parents' Pool Questions

DAB942

Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Space Coast, FL
This is multi part question:

Installed a Hayward VSP a few weeks ago. Primed it and ran it -- it filled. Was over today and noticed it doesn't seem to fill up on any speed. Lower speeds the water is being pulled pretty well - but it does not fill the basket area.

There are not obvious suction leaks -- I don't see bubbles on the returns. I'm starting to think it's underground. Any advice?

Second. Attaching pics. They went from DE to cartridge. When I replaced the pump, there was only one pipe in to the pump -- the have a skimmer and was looks like a main drain. The pool is over 30 years old. Would they have connected both prior to the pump? There is also what looks to be an extraneous couple of pipes.

20171124_101554.jpg20171124_101559.jpg20171124_101604.jpg

dab,

So I have a two part answer for you.. :p

As far as the Main Drain goes, most older pool had the main drain plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer. Depending on the skimmer there would have been a floating device or a plastic sliding door to allow the main drain to work. Almost every older pool that I have seen these devices are missing. It is not a big deal as there are thousands of pool out there with no operating main drain and they all work just fine.

Most variable speed pumps have some air under the lid when the pump is running at a low rpm, but this normally goes away when the speed is increased above 2000 rpm, or so. If you still have air under the lid when running above 2K, then I would suspect a suction side air leak. 90% of the time this is caused by the O-Ring under the pump lid, either being bad or not lubed.

It appears to me the pump was installed without pump unions.. Sigh!! Another place for an air leak is at the threaded connection at the input to the pump.

You might also check the filter, as it appears the pressure is about 20 or so. Modifying the TV commercial... "If you can't get the old water out, it is hard to get the new water in"

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

+1 on cleaning the filter well and finding out the clean pressure, which is also when the most water will flow and help evacuate the air.

Most common cause is a loose pump lid. But also, air can get in when, for example, a suction cleaner is attached, or has a leaky hose. If water level is too low, the skimmer might be slurping air. Otherwise air shouldn't be getting in, and once its all gone, it should stay gone. A wee bit of air bouncing around the top under the cover is not a big deal, but it has to have come from somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.