Pump and filter?

Aug 26, 2017
Houston, texas
So yesterday i get home and i notice my pump running and it is only flowing in my jacuzzi and not pushing the water over the fall like it normally does. So i check baskets and clean cartridge filters. The filters were filthy. On avg i have has to clean them once every 3 months. Is this normal? My water is never really dirty. Can i have a cracked pipe underground allowing in dirt?

How do you test your pool water chemistry? Do you have a full set of tests you can post? Do you use solid chlorine exclusively or do you use liquid chlorine?

You have an oversized cartridge filter for your pool size. I would find needing to clean the filter that often unusual.

Have you tried an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to eliminate the potential for algae?

Take care.

e8ef43768f66ac979798e883eef9c682.jpg
There are my last test results from thursday. I got busy and they dropped a little bcuz i missed a week. And i have my own test kit recommended by tfp. And there was really no algae it was straight up sand and dirt when i cleaned the filters.

Shay,

Your filter is doing what it gets paid to do.. Filter out the gunk in your pool water. Even through you can't see it, it is there.

99% of the time this is not a filter issue, but rather a chemical issue.

My guess is that your CYA (stabilizer) level is very high and that your FC (Chlorine) level is very low, making your pool a breeding ground for algae.

I suggest you read through our Pool School .. Pool School - Pool School.. and see what the TFP pool maintenance program is all about..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Shay... because I type so slow you posted your test results before I posted my comments above.. But... as you can see I'm pretty close to being right. Your FC is way, way, too low. Just because you can't see algae does not mean it is not there. I too recommend that you do an OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

What model pump do you have?

If it's a variable speed pump, what rpm are you running?

What is the filter pressure right after cleaning the filters and what is the pressure when flow gets noticeably diminished?

Do the filters look dirty when you remove them?

So sometimes u gotta check the stupid things first. So addressing the spa issue was that while messing around in the app, i accidentally changed the schedule from pool to spa. But as far as the filters maybe my pool is just that dirty. But this is the first week i missed not checking the numbers it is in balance now according to the cya chart

Like others above, I think you have algae (you can't always see it). The chlorine is killing SOME of it and it then gets clogged in your filter but you never really kill it ALL. I think if you SLAM the pool, your cartridge cleaning days might be over.....at least greatly reduced.

Keep us posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.