Incomplete pool project

Nov 14, 2017
Irvine, CA
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, our pool contractor walked off the job midway through the project and we are left trying to pick up where he left off. I'm just trying to educate myself on the basics so we can finish.

I will be browsing this site for some info to ensure what the original contractor told us is what we need:
  • One 2 HP Pentair Pump and One booster pump
  • Do we need a drain to our main sewer line?
  • Chlorine made through Salt water system or standard chlorine pool
  • Plaster vs pebble

The basic info for our pool is:
  • 15' wide
  • 23' long
  • Shallow end is 3'
  • Deep end is 6'
  • Baja shelf is 5'x15'
  • Jacuzzi is ~8'x10'
  • Slide

I look forward to the wisdom contained on this forum and thankful in advance for any and all input.

jv,

Welcome to TFP... A Great pool resource for all pool owners who feel abandoned... :shark:

I would vote against a single speed 2 HP pump as they use a lot of electricity... I would go with a Variable Speed or two speed pump. In fact, in a lot of places in CA a single speed pump is no longer allowed.

Your city may require that any water from your pool needs to be sent down the sewer.. This is something that you need to check with your city to find out. Where I live you cannot backwash (clean) a DE filter unless you can discharge the dirty water to the sewer. Different cities have different requirements.

A Saltwater pool is the easiest pool to maintain. I always recommend them..

Plaster vs. pebble is more of a personal opinion.. I like pebble, but it has the feel of 60 grit sand paper on your feet. The real key is to find pools that you can visit, and stand in if possible, to see what you like best.

Thanks for posting and sorry about your abandonment...

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also vote no on the booster pump... Water powered cleaners were ok when the old rotary dial phone was being used, but today's pool owners are going with a Robot cleaner that does not need to have any additional pumps.

Below I tried to identify where the pipes are. I can take more pictures over the weekend if there is something specific you would like to see.

dbtgallery.php

Jimrhabe,
I believe the pump the contractor specified was a Pentair Whisperflo. Our city requires connection to the sewer if you have a DE filter. Not sure what requirements there are for a cartridge.

You stated that you would vote no for the booster pump. Do you think my setup would require 2 pumps or do you think one would be enough? I'm assuming if we went with one we just wouldn't be able to run everything at the same time (jacuzzi, pool, slide, overflow from jacuzzi).

Jimrhabe,
I believe the pump the contractor specified was a Pentair Whisperflo. Our city requires connection to the sewer if you have a DE filter. Not sure what requirements there are for a cartridge.

You stated that you would vote no for the booster pump. Do you think my setup would require 2 pumps or do you think one would be enough? I'm assuming if we went with one we just wouldn't be able to run everything at the same time (jacuzzi, pool, slide, overflow from jacuzzi).

When most people refer to a "booster" pump, they are talking about a pump that is used to operate a pressure side cleaner. If you were not talking about a pump for a pressure side cleaner, then I can't tell if you will need more than one pump or not.. Sorry, I don't have a strong background in that area.

Unless stated otherwise, a Pentair WhisperFlo is a single speed pump.

I like DE filters, but I have a cartridge filter just because my city also requires DE filters to be plumbed to the sewer. Cartridge filters work fine for me...

Are you having to buy all the equipment, or was some already purchased by you ex-pool builder?

Thanks,

Jim R.

When most people refer to a "booster" pump, they are talking about a pump that is used to operate a pressure side cleaner. If you were not talking about a pump for a pressure side cleaner, then I can't tell if you will need more than one pump or not.. Sorry, I don't have a strong background in that area.

Unless stated otherwise, a Pentair WhisperFlo is a single speed pump.

I like DE filters, but I have a cartridge filter just because my city also requires DE filters to be plumbed to the sewer. Cartridge filters work fine for me...

Are you having to buy all the equipment, or was some already purchased by you ex-pool builder?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Unfortunately our contractor took our money and split so we will need to purchase all the equipment.

Okay lets get some more background.

-slide? FUN! Still getting it?

-what other features will you have? Any overflow or waterfalls from the wall?

See where you have the "for vacuum"? That shows the PB was planning on getting you a suction side cleaner. That is what the booster pump was for most likely.

Don't buy anything until you run it by us. We will get a few more eyes on this thread so we can make sure to steer you in the right direction.

:hug: for the hard time you are going through. I am sorry to hear he was such a meany! GURRRR!

Okay lets get some more background.

-slide? FUN! Still getting it?

-what other features will you have? Any overflow or waterfalls from the wall?

See where you have the "for vacuum"? That shows the PB was planning on getting you a suction side cleaner. That is what the booster pump was for most likely.

Don't buy anything until you run it by us. We will get a few more eyes on this thread so we can make sure to steer you in the right direction.

:hug: for the hard time you are going through. I am sorry to hear he was such a meany! GURRRR!

Hey KimKats,
Here are my answers to your questions:
1. Q: Still getting the slide? A: Depends if we can fit all the equipment where the contractor said we could and still allow space for a slide
2. Q:Other features? A: Overflow from the jacuzzi but nothing else. We had them run plumbing for a potential waterfall but that may be a few years out.
I will run all proposals through this forum. There seems to be a lot more knowledge here than with some of the people we have had out to look at the pool.
Thanks for your input.
Joe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Joe,

Is your plan to have another pool builder step in and finish the pool or do you intend to try and complete it yourself.

I say this because Pentair's warranty is designed to support their base customer, the pool builder. Often the builder gets a three year warranty that he will pass down to you. Buying the equipment yourself may or may not be a good plan unless your new pool builder will agree to install it for you. If you install the equipment yourself the warranty is (I think) 90 days.. I'm not sure, but it is something you need to research before going off and buying things.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Joe,

Is your plan to have another pool builder step in and finish the pool or do you intend to try and complete it yourself.

I say this because Pentair's warranty is designed to support their base customer, the pool builder. Often the builder gets a three year warranty that he will pass down to you. Buying the equipment yourself may or may not be a good plan unless your new pool builder will agree to install it for you. If you install the equipment yourself the warranty is (I think) 90 days.. I'm not sure, but it is something you need to research before going off and buying things.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't think I can afford a new builder to come in and take over based on the quotes I've been getting. The local Leslie Pool store has a promo right now where they come out and do an assessment and will install for free. Good to know about the 90 day warranty, I will ask the pool place what the warranty is if they install. Thanks for the insight.

In CA a typical pool installation with raised spa has a Booster pump dedicated for the Spa jets. The OP has 14 Spa jets and curious if a 2HP is sufficient, anyone?
The vacuum plumbing should be connected to the main pool pump suction side via 3-way Jandy valve. Normally, the skimmer and main drains are tied together in a single run and this should be connected to the other side of the Jandy valve in the suction. I would imagine two 3-way Jandy valve before the pool pump suction. 1)Skimmer & Maindrains or Cleaner/Vacuum. 2) Draw from Spa or Pool.

The return can only have 1 Jandy valve, Spa or Pool or Both. Also don't forget the check valves where applicable. Good luck!

I did not see any light fixture. What's up with that?

So sorry this happened to you.

I cannot even fathom the anger I would have if this happened to me.

Out of curiosity, what kind of figures were new builders giving you to complete this?

I mean it looks like a majority of the hard/expensive work is done already.

We are getting some where now!

Lets look at the slide as that will impact your pump needs. Go to the slide manufacture site to get the specs you will need for a slide. Share those with us and we can help you with that as well.

Kim:kim:

So sorry this happened to you.

I cannot even fathom the anger I would have if this happened to me.

Out of curiosity, what kind of figures were new builders giving you to complete this?

I mean it looks like a majority of the hard/expensive work is done already.
The first guy that came out gave me a quote of $71K. I wanted to vomit. I think he just didn’t want the responsibility of taking on somebody else’s work.

In CA a typical pool installation with raised spa has a Booster pump dedicated for the Spa jets. The OP has 14 Spa jets and curious if a 2HP is sufficient, anyone?
The vacuum plumbing should be connected to the main pool pump suction side via 3-way Jandy valve. Normally, the skimmer and main drains are tied together in a single run and this should be connected to the other side of the Jandy valve in the suction. I would imagine two 3-way Jandy valve before the pool pump suction. 1)Skimmer & Maindrains or Cleaner/Vacuum. 2) Draw from Spa or Pool.

The return can only have 1 Jandy valve, Spa or Pool or Both. Also don't forget the check valves where applicable. Good luck!

I did not see any light fixture. What's up with that?
If you look closely you can see a light. It’s under the arrow that points to the vacuum

If you look closely you can see a light. It’s under the arrow that points to the vacuum
ahh...ok, I see it now. Sorry, my vision is starting to deteriorate.

Does your plan call for 14 jets in the Spa? Seems like an overkill, do you have pics? The most important thing is for you to identify each of the plumbing from point A to B. Hope you have the as built plumbing layout on hand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.