Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul

Maybe you can have your Wanger sit on it and leave some impressions and add some “texture” to the surface....

Maybe you can have your Wanger sit on it and leave some impressions and add some “texture” to the surface....

That texture would have nothing but foot impressions from him getting kicked in the a.....

The column caps, BBQ countertop and fireplace hearth are all the same color as the pool coping. I thought it would be too contrasting to mix them up and I hate the look of a tiled counter :pukel:

Then again raw chicken juice stained grout joints are a classy look :cool:

Good call on the NO tile counter top! Ewwwwwww to the max! Impossible to clean the grout even if you seal it.

I like how you are making everything match so it ties in together.

Screw placement inspection? You are kidding right??? right???

Kim:kim:

Hey Brian, are you going to acid wash that colored counter top or keep it smooth? My mason acid washed ours to match the pool coping(looks like the same color you used) and top-cast deck. I sealed the heck out of it, but it is REALLY hard clean and keep food, wine and such from wanting to blotch/stain it. What sealer are you going to use...maybe that is the trick?? I like the look, but not sure I would/should do it that way again??

Those post anchors ended up being a royal pain to get the posts in. There wasn't any flexibility with them at all.

IMG_20180130_151542197.jpg

To make matters worse, the lumberyard shorted me on nuts and bolts so I couldn't get a whole lot else done.... That and I'm still waiting for the bandsaw...

IMG_20180130_151523654_HDR.jpg

Here's the finished hearth. I'm happy with how it turned out.

IMG_20180130_151551596.jpg

IMG_20180130_151426055.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those bolts would have looked nicer if they were anodized to a pretty fuscia color. Can you call up “Rocco” at the lumberyard and ask him if he has any fuscia nuts?? Just send your Wanger to go get them ....

How in the world did you get them in there?? What will you put over those?

Persuasion.... Those big beams that I cut the curves into will span the posts followed by 6x8 rafters that will span the opposite direction.

That hearth does look awesome! Have the home owners seen it yet?

They've been pretty involved in the whole project so it's been difficult to keep surprises from them. They've been awesome though, very open to my wild ideas!

Wait until you see how massive that fireplace is going to be :party:

- - - Updated - - -

Those bolts would have looked nicer if they were anodized to a pretty fuscia color. Can you call up “Rocco” at the lumberyard and ask him if he has any fuscia nuts?? Just send your Wanger to go get them ....

That would be a sight... Wanger carrying his nuts in a small sack and kicking a can on the way back from the lumberyard.

Nope.... He'll check the screws and the lath. Gotta make sure there's enough Staples :laughblue:

and i would assume the guy doing the inspection never picked up a screw gun either. it's my biggest peeve. i know i always talk about it but it just bothers me so much.

when i did my backporch roof it was completely over engineered. huge LVL to split the load which wasn't even needed. the roof was lagged into the house and through brick. it was nuts. he comes looks up. " ya i think you guys should throw 1 or 2 more lags in. . . "

ya i never called back for the final inspection. they never bothered me either 9 years later. fast forward the pool. i pull my permits cause my builder made me. i wasn't going to. complete joke. we texted in the electrical inspection. took pics of the rebar and the grounding made sure my house was in a pic or 2 and sent them in. lol ya never called back for the rest after that. i will next year when the fence is up so i can get the occupancy permit incase i ever sell the house, but no way i am doing anything for the pool house.

looks awesome brian!

jim

What I meant is what will you put over the post anchors to cover them up.

As for now there is no plan to hide them. There is a fair amount of exposed hardware elsewhere on the pergola and all of it should blend right in once its cleaned up and painted. If they do decide to conceal them the posts then they can be wrapped in wood or completely covered in stucco or stone. We'll have to see how it looks once it's framed up and go from there...

Holy Hannah, those anchors will handle some serious big uplift. Is Gulliver coming to party, or is that roof at the end of a runway at Miramar?

I dismissed them when I first saw the plans. Once I took a better look I quickly realized that these things were no joke. I'd much rather have them over built than question their integrity down the road...they are a little extreme though.

and i would assume the guy doing the inspection never picked up a screw gun either. it's my biggest peeve. i know i always talk about it but it just bothers me so much.

when i did my backporch roof it was completely over engineered. huge LVL to split the load which wasn't even needed. the roof was lagged into the house and through brick. it was nuts. he comes looks up. " ya i think you guys should throw 1 or 2 more lags in. . . "

ya i never called back for the final inspection. they never bothered me either 9 years later. fast forward the pool. i pull my permits cause my builder made me. i wasn't going to. complete joke. we texted in the electrical inspection. took pics of the rebar and the grounding made sure my house was in a pic or 2 and sent them in. lol ya never called back for the rest after that. i will next year when the fence is up so i can get the occupancy permit incase i ever sell the house, but no way i am doing anything for the pool house.

looks awesome brian!

jim

Good for you but I'd be in jail if I tried to pull that here. Once you pull a permit you have 6 months to get it done or you can file for one extension. If the permit expires, so does any work up to that point and you better hope there weren't any code changes because you will have to bring everything up to the new standard. The inspectors also have the authority to put a stop work notice on the entire project until their conditions are met. You can't fight with the inspectors or building departments either... believe me I've tried and all it did was put me in a worse position than I was prior to the dispute :brickwall:

... all it did was put me in a worse position than I was prior to the dispute :brickwall:

Sounds just like Aus and Canada with the vindictive regulators :). Quicker to grit your teeth, chuck in a compliment on their eye for detail, and write a note or pick up a tool so they know you're getting on with it. Then they drive away. I was lucky to have an electrician back in Canada that would intentionally leave 2 or 3 unimportant (safe and easily changed) things incorrect, then lead the inspector to those 'transgressions'. He saved me a lot of money!

Sounds just like Aus and Canada with the vindictive regulators :). Quicker to grit your teeth, chuck in a compliment on their eye for detail, and write a note or pick up a tool so they know you're getting on with it. Then they drive away. I was lucky to have an electrician back in Canada that would intentionally leave 2 or 3 unimportant (safe and easily changed) things incorrect, then lead the inspector to those 'transgressions'. He saved me a lot of money!

Isn't that the truth!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.