First SLAM

At higher than shock level, the FC can be irritating to skin, eyes, etc. It will also degrade any swim clothes. But will it kill you - no.

Once your FC is down near shock level again it should not be an issue.

Take care.

Ok just got home

5pm
FC 25
CYA 50

Patches: still present

Added LC at 5am this morning to raise FC to 32, which is what I thought was Mustard level for CYA 70. Didn't check FC after addition as I had to go to work, but so far all my LC additions were spot on.

Anyway, it looks like I had my FC levels above SLAM level the whole time (even Mustard levels for CYA 50), since I thought my CYA was 70.
Still the patches are visible, but much lighter/fainter than originally.
OCLT last night was a pass.

Should I let my FC levels drop and consider the SLAM over?

Thanks

Also, just double checking that you're brushing those patches a couple times a day?

You could also buy some trichlor pucks Hy-Clor 1kg Long Lasting Pool Chlorine Tablets | Bunnings Warehouse

You can chuck them in and then position them with your pool brush. Leave them in one place for 10 or 15 minutes, then move them and see if they make a difference. When done, scoop them out, let them dry, and put them back in the bottle for another use, like vacation.

Hi jet

Patches run along the sides of the pool but on floor only, nothing on walls, moreso on the shady side, and towards the main drain
I brush them everyday many times a day
No loose stuff moving as far as i can see
No brown marks
No black spots

Haven't tried pucks, will do over weekend
I'll also try to GoPro the patches

Thanks for joining in mate appreciate your help

Thanks mate

Really annoying indeed.
Came out of nowhere

I thought it'd be a quick fix, with me being on top of it and all.

Ah well, I'm sure it'll be fine. I wish I had more time to concentrate on it, but been very busy at work. Lucky I had a bit of time in the first 48h to at least stop algae progression.

Will keep posting here as the story develops :mad:

Hi all

Quick update

Pucks didn't seem to make a difference, but to be completely honest it is the first time today i see the pool in full sun, and looks like patches have gone.
Optical illusion??

Anyway, re CYA should I let the FC drift down more before I increase my CYA, or should I raise CYA now?
This morning FC was 20 for a CYA tested at 50 on Friday.

SWG still off

Thanks

Great news mate about the patches :) If it were mine, I'd run at 50 CYA for a week or two, but if you're fully confident there's no more SLAMing in your future, go on up to 70/80.

The FC will drift down fairly quickly either way - especially with the kids giving the pool a good old thrash! Setting the SWC to 0 for a few days oughtta do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks

Looks like the patches are still here but very faint.

How confident am I?

Well, 2 weeks ago I was fairly confident I would never have to SLAM, ever....

I have just put 10ppm of CYA in the pool, and I will keep watching patches and OCLT over the next few days.
Will raise CYA to 70-80 when I'm satisfied no more SLAMing in sight

Cheers

Hi all

Update on post #29: pucks seem to make a difference.
Not obvious in full sun, but I've placed the puck on different spots this afternoon, when the patches are more visible, and the puck left nice round patch free spots.

So obviously there is something organic there, but something that resisted above-SLAM FC levels for nearly 2 weeks, with regular brushing.
or am I just bleaching out stains??

What do you experts suggest I do next?

I say use great care and work on the areas to see if you can get them all gone using the pucks. Set a timer, tie a sting on your finger, anything to help you remember to take the puck off within a set amount of time.

Hi all

Sorry I have been silent for a while.

I was not satisfied with the results of that first slam so I decided to do it again.

After a week of SLAMing, I finally passed the OCLT last night, but my stains are still there.
I really don't understand.
They are definitely organic, since the direct application of pucks make them go away, and they don't come back.
So why SLAM levels of chlorine a twice daily brushing don't do anything to them?

Should I raise to Mustard levels for 24h?
I doubt it will make a difference

Your thoughts?

here is a pic (not very good quality) of some of the patches

2257T8p

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1471.jpg

I am at a lose! Okay I am going to ask silly questions to make sure there is nothing left unasked or undone:

-did you ever test your FC about 30 mins after you added the chlorine to bring it up to SLAM level? (Thinking maybe you did not really get it to SLAM level...........knowing you did but........have to ask)

-You say the puck makes the spot disappear and stay gone so that does point to chlorine works.......are they still gone?

-How long after your last SLAM did it take for the stains to come back?

-Were you running the pump 24/7? Thinking maybe the FC was not getting mixed in good.........

Like I said I am pulling in strings to see what we find.

Thanks for your reply

See answers below:

-did you ever test your FC about 30 mins after you added the chlorine to bring it up to SLAM level? (Thinking maybe you did not really get it to SLAM level...........knowing you did but........have to ask) Yes, and pool maths gave me spot on measurements. I only test 30min after addition when opening a new drum of LC

-You say the puck makes the spot disappear and stay gone so that does point to chlorine works.......are they still gone? Yes, wherever I applied the pucks, the green's gone for good

-How long after your last SLAM did it take for the stains to come back? They never left after last SLAM, thats why I did it again. Stains only seems to go away when I apply pucks directly onto them

-Were you running the pump 24/7? Thinking maybe the FC was not getting mixed in good......... Yes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.