New Build in Central CA

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Looking at the chart above:

PH-high
CH-a little low but new plaster can push CH up some so hold off on adding any
TA-a little low
CYA-low What kind of CYA did he add? Liquid or powder?

Use Pool Math (at top of page) to see what to add and how much.

PH will push up with new plaster as well so keep a close eye on this one for a while.

Keep posting your test results and we will tweak as needed. We will find the sweet spots for YOUR pool. Some pools like the PH and TA here, some like it there.

Kim:kim:

The CYA that was dumped in the skimmer may not show up in tests for several days to a week. Also, you do not show what type filter you have but if DE or sand, do not backwash for at least a week.

You will eventually want your CYA to be up between 70-80 ppm by April 1.

Your CH and TA are low. I would suggest getting your CH to 250. I assume your fill water CH is the 125 so your CH will rise with evaporation. But it would be best to add a bit to get to 250 to start.

You should add baking soda to get your TA to 70ppm. Then add acid to get your pH to 7.6 and when it rises to 8.0, repeat.

Keep your FC in the 3 ppm range with bleach.

I assume you will add your salt in a month or so.

Good luck!

The CYA that was dumped in the skimmer may not show up in tests for several days to a week. Also, you do not show what type filter you have but if DE or sand, do not backwash for at least a week.

You will eventually want your CYA to be up between 70-80 ppm by April 1.

Your CH and TA are low. I would suggest getting your CH to 250. I assume your fill water CH is the 125 so your CH will rise with evaporation. But it would be best to add a bit to get to 250 to start.

You should add baking soda to get your TA to 70ppm. Then add acid to get your pH to 7.6 and when it rises to 8.0, repeat.

Keep your FC in the 3 ppm range with bleach.

I assume you will add your salt in a month or so.

Good luck!

I just updated my signature... I have a cartridge filter. The pool service added granular CYA so I’m sure it is still dissolving. He also added 3 gallons of liquid bleach so it will be coming down soon I would guess.

I will plan on increasing the CH and adding some baking soda for now. My PB said he will add the salt in a month and set up the Intellichlor.

f86b699d7b24cf341ffb30e179f58810.jpg

Now just to finish my lawn, sprinklers and plants and we are ready for swim season.

That looks AWESOME!!! You did it! You have a pool that is purrfect! I can't wait to hear all about the cannon ball into it!!!!

Well done on your tests and what you do to adjust the levels! Call your CYA 30. We round up for this to be on the safe side.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your tile looks great and it goes together with the stone very well. I was thinking of using the Oceans Blue because it has some sort of terra cotta color in it that I thought would go with our travertine (its called Tuscany Riviera and is sort of a gold color) but the colors in the Oceans Marine also seem to do that. I think I am going to have to see the actual tile to make a decision. If you have any photos that show the waterline sort of close up but not too close up in daylight I would love to see it.

Your tile looks great and it goes together with the stone very well. I was thinking of using the Oceans Blue because it has some sort of terra cotta color in it that I thought would go with our travertine (its called Tuscany Riviera and is sort of a gold color) but the colors in the Oceans Marine also seem to do that. I think I am going to have to see the actual tile to make a decision. If you have any photos that show the waterline sort of close up but not too close up in daylight I would love to see it.

Here is what I have for now. I will see if I can get a better picture up close in the next day or two.
3be5b6863be6d6d3ce5f41f1e7fd576e.jpg

Here are the test results from today:

FC 4.0
Ph 7.5
TA 70
CH 175
CYA 30
Water temp 59*

I have added 5 lbs of Calcium Hardness Increaser so far over the course of 4 days and finished adding about 3 days ago. Pool Math is telling me to add 34 lbs. I also can’t seem to get my CYA up. I know it takes a while to read correctly but should I be worried yet with this low of a reading or is it ok to bring it up slow since the weather is still cold?

Your CYA is fine for now. Retest in a week and then start adding so you are up at 70 ppm by the time you start your SWCG.

I do not remember your fill water CH. if over 100 I would not add anymore calcium. Your evaporation will kick in soon and your CH will start to increase.

Fill water had CH of 75. Adding the 5 lbs seems to have only raised CH by 25.

Using your pool volume that is what it should have raised it so your numbers look good.

Watch your CSI as your water temperature rises. You can keep your pH on the high side and that will moderate your lower CH. You can add some more calcium if you like. I just hate to see you raise it too much as it will climb with evaporation, though not as quickly as many of us here in the west.

Thanks for the photo, HmnRcn! NPT has a pretty terrible website and its hard to visualize these things in real life. I think the variation in the colors on the Oceans tile line goes great with stone. I need to get my hands on some samples, but I think the Oceans Blue might look better with the gold colors in my stone. Your stone looks more taupe or gray and the Oceans Marine seems to pick that up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.