NEW Fiberglass pool Cracked! Need Advice

ccasanova

Silver Supporter
Oct 16, 2017
Franklinton, LA
ECCB30B3-9BAA-425E-8387-1FFDBF8E7B48.jpg70CEFB31-B3C8-4B91-8A57-0678A075251C.jpg

Install went well yesterday. Walked by a few minutes ago and heard water dripping. It’s cracked through and through. I text PB pics. Waiting for a response. Anyone else been down this road? Advice? We’re trying to remain calm. Wondering what’s next.

First things first. I did an edit on your title to help get the help you need.

Second-NEW pool.........end of discussion.......Look the installer in the eye and keep saying "new pool". No please, nothing else. "New pool".

I would also call the manufacture of the pool and share the pics.

Let us know what the installer has to say.

I would have to disagree that the install went well. Fiberglass pools are not supposed to be propped up with wood beams and filled up with water before backfilling. The entire base of the pool should be leveled on a smooth gravel or sand base and the pool should be backfilled with sand or gravel as the water is being added. The sand or gravel should also be washed into all crevices, under steps, stairs, etc. in layers. The water and the backfill should rise at about the same pace so that the pool does not bow or nor does backfill push the walls in. The pic you are showing is WAY incorrect. I would not only demand a new pool, I would seriously reevaluate letting this firm continue with the build. Do you have any other pics of the install or the overall work area?

I put more details in my build thread, I’ll add here. The sand bed was well packed and leveled underneath. I was present for the install. We were expecting several inches of rain within hours of install so they packed in a foot or more of sand all around the pool and added some water to try to prevent it from floating up as it’s basically sitting in a clay bowl. Obviously, it was a bit too much water. I expect PB to make it right. He installed my in laws pool a few years back and has a good reputation in the area. I paid him the 2nd draw day of install. I’ll put a hold on the check if he does not agree to replace the pool.

My pool installer was adamant that the water going in matched how much gravel they packed around, it was done in stages over 2-3 days as they worked on things.

I would also ask for gravel (crusher run) be used instead of sand, if you can get that changed with the new-new pool.

Maddie :flower:

My pool installer was adamant that the water going in matched how much gravel they packed around, it was done in stages over 2-3 days as they worked on things.

I would also ask for gravel (crusher run) be used instead of sand, if you can get that changed with the new-new pool.

Maddie :flower:

I very much agree! We had a new fiberglass pool installed this past July and 2 inches of gravel was used as the base for the shell. We filled the pool as they back filled it with a mixture of sand, gravel and some fill dirt to top it off. While back filling one of the guys using a tool they had devised themselves did sort of a reverse liposuction injecting water as they back filled so that all of the material filled in all of the crevices under the steps and other areas where it needed to be solid. Whatever you do Casanova I would accept no less than a new pool shell!

It’s my understanding when fiberglass pools first came out, sand was used. The procedure was changed to crushed limestone. Sand that sits in water (ground water) will be the consistency of jelly. It will lack the support needed to support weight (pool shell). All backfill should be crushed limestone. It should be in place before the weight of water is in the fiberglass shell. There was another thread within the past year, with very similar circumstances, same outcome. Can’t support the weighted shell by the top rim. Good luck, what a headache.

Ok, lots going on the past few days. PB has come out multiple times and has a plan I’m satisfied with. His initial response was replace the shell ASAP, and that option remains open to me at anytime. An Imagine technician will come out next week to repair the pool onsite. This part has to be done regardless, as PB or the distributor will have to do something with the pool if I opt for replacement. PB will be onsite for the repair work. If he and I are satisfied with the repair (written 30yr shell warranty remains intact) then the distributor will discount the shell, sell all equipment at cost, and throw in a heat pump/chiller. The repair/discount was my idea, and PB has lobbied hard for discounts. I am happy to have options. What are your thoughts?

Ok, lots going on the past few days. PB has come out multiple times and has a plan I’m satisfied with. His initial response was replace the shell ASAP, and that option remains open to me at anytime. An Imagine technician will come out next week to repair the pool onsite. This part has to be done regardless, as PB or the distributor will have to do something with the pool if I opt for replacement. PB will be onsite for the repair work. If he and I are satisfied with the repair (written 30yr shell warranty remains intact) then the distributor will discount the shell, sell all equipment at cost, and throw in a heat pump/chiller. The repair/discount was my idea, and PB has lobbied hard for discounts. I am happy to have options. What are your thoughts?

There is no amount of incentives that would entice me to take a cracked fiberglass pool. But I have no technical knowledge of how good a fiberglass repair actually is. I just know I would have trouble sleeping at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Repair will be with hand laid woven fiberglass. PB and Imagine rep state it will be stronger than new. Quality of gelcoat match will be a major factor.

PB admits there was too much water for this shell due to the chopped fiberglass construction. He maintains that the woven fiberglass such as the San Juan he’s installed for 17 years would not have failed.

I have a San Juan shell. It had surface stress cracks after being installed. Not a crack like yours but just in the gel coat. No matter what, they cannot match the color. The areas it was repaired are lighter than the rest. Now, I am the only person that sees it, but it is still there. From my research the stress cracks like we had are not unusual.

Take care.

I'd agree that the repaired area will be as strong as if not stronger than the original shell. I have done a lot of FG repairs on boats and done right it is stronger than before. It's also good that the manufacturer is doing the repair as one would assume that they are experts in working with FG. The big question is can they make the repair unnoticeable. If so personally I would opt for the repaired shell and the discounts. I find it humorous though that your PB blames the issue on the construction of the pool and not on the fact that he is installed it incorrectly.

Once again, I agree with keithw on all counts. I would certainly take the patch and the discounts because you still have the warranty. You will be the only one that ever sees the slight mismatch in color.

While PB certainly installed it improperly (it should have been backfilled VERY evenly), I am not so sure that caused the crack. I would think a crack from the load of water pressure would take a different path.....like along a flat surface and not in a corner. That crack in your pic seems like something that would occur if the shell was dropped or twisted in some fashion......who knows for sure.

Regardless, your shell will be structurally sound with a VERY minor blemish and you get a good deal.

How confident are your that if a problem arises several years from now, the company will be in business and willing / able to honor the warranty claim? Is the warranty transferable to a new homeowner if you sell your house? I would want to be very confident that warranty is meaningful...

Thanks all. I am confident PB will honor it. He’s been in business 17 years and has a stellar reputation in the area, including some high end builds in the French Quarter of NO. This is our forever home on family land (Lord willing). I am pricing crushed concrete for backfill and deck base, as well as some road work on another part of the property. Crushed limestone is crazy expensive here.

The repair is scheduled for Wednesday.

Heres a pic from today.

D8E3BB74-341E-407E-8D85-71456F7D2FF1.jpg831607F5-7DF8-4D87-9431-D62E59BE4345.jpg

If he and I are satisfied with the repair (written 30yr shell warranty remains intact) then............... What are your thoughts?

The manufacturer will not honor the warranty ("written 30yr shell warranty") if the shell was damage during installation. And if your pool builder retires or goes out of business for any reason you'll be SOL. I would insist on a new shell. The discounts will not offset the pain of a whole pool rebuild/renovation in 5-10 years time if lady luck isn't shining on you!

I was wondering what was the final outcome of your pool problem?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.