Skimmer has no suction and pump has no pressure.

I am new to the pool thing. Just purchased my house. I was vacuuming the pool and then lost all suction. I tried putting the water hose in skimmer to flush it out. Didn’t work. I tried putting water hose in pump is to flush out, still nothing. No pressure when trying to backwash anymore. I think leaves have clogged it up. I have a sand filter. The pressure gauge was broken when I bought the house. My pool is an in ground concrete pool. 16000 gallons.
I’m at the point to where I think I need to remove metal clamp from filter but not sure how to do it. Nor do I know what to do once I remove it.

HI.

Welcome to the forum.

Did you prime your vacuum hose before vacuuming?
by this I mean did you fill your vacuum hose with pool water from a return jet before connecting the vacuum plate to your skimmer?
if not, you have been sucking lots of air into your pump and lost prime.

You probably just need to remove the cover from your pool pump housing, make sure the plastic basket is clean and empty out any debris, then add water to the housing, install the cover and try again. Hopefully that will get the pump primed enough to pull in water from the pool.

Make sure the o-ring on the lid over the pump basket is lubed up and has no cracks. Also check your basket for cracks, any debris that gets past it will clog your pump's impeller. (Lack of water flow is not a filter issue, it's a pump/suction line problem). You can check YouTube for DIY videos.

Had a similar thing happen to me after some heavy vacuuming. It ended up being two things: clogged pipe going from the skimmer to the pump (fixed that with a drain king. Google it. It's awesome) and had a clogged pump impeller. Had to open up the pump housing to clean it all out. It's easier, and less scary, than it sounds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.