Return direction for best skimmer action

Oct 17, 2017
Driftwood, TX
Hi all,

I have a new pool, and can't seem to settle on how to direct the returns for effective skimmer action. The pool is a 15x30 rectangle with two 6 ft benches along one side, and a 3x4 bumpout for the steps in the corner of the opposite side in the shallow end. The pool was designed with just one skimmer, which I think may be the problem. The skimmer is on the end wall of the shallow end near the corner where it meets the wall with the two benches (the other shallow corner away from the steps). There are four returns - two are centered over the benches, and the other two are on the opposite side wall.

I have read numerous threads here, most recommend all pointing one direction to create a circular flow. No matter which direction, CW or CCW I go, I seem to get one flow that circles the shallow end, and one flow that circles the deep end. The debris on the surface in the deep end stays stuck in the deep end circle, and never makes it to the shallow end where the skimmer is. In hindsight, a second skimmer in the deep end would probably have been the way to go, but it's too late for that now :???:.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions for return direction?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

There is no one solution for every pool and it takes a bit of trial and error to figure it out. It is hard to point returns at 90 degrees unless you have 90 return (yes they make those). For the shape of my pool, I find point at the opposite wall works well and the debris hits the wall and usually stays against the wall toward the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.