Complete Rebuild Started

My son approves...

624692f0bad1e0389205ccf31c976025.jpg

That’s really awesome!!!

Spray foam insulation? Is the tub built into your deck? How accessible is the under side?

Will be interested to see how you incorporate UV into the system.

After using the tub for a week I can say that it is AWESOME. huge difference in flow rate and this pressure!

I didn’t replace the light and it is dripping water - dang it! So I’m ordering a new assy and will replace it next drain.

Aside from that it is great. I’ll post some lessons learned later today

Here's what I figured out throughout the process...

1. My wife is a saint! This project from start to finish lasted waayyy too long due to several circumstances and the last two weeks of the project involved me working on it pretty much non-stop... go to work, come home and say hi, go work on the hot tub, go to bed, repeat.
  2. Putting the tubing in the oven at 170 for a few minutes prior to install made it a lot easier to route and to put over the barbs
  3. Buy a few extra of the main fittings you're using... can't tell you how many times I got to a point where it wasn't working like I thought and needed one more fitting... another run to the hardware!
  4. Dry fitting PVC sucks (or I suck at it rather). One trick for complex areas is to cut a small piece of pipe that allows two fittings to dry fit together... then mark each with a marker to get the right angles.
  5. The best customer service and cheapest prices I could find were at www.getpoolparts.com and www.supplyhouse.com
  6. I prefer medium body PVC glue... seemed to be easier to work with
  7. You can pull a cemented PVC pipe out of a fitting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=390Mqb9JJeQ). I had to do it once
  8. You can bend PVC pipe by heating - I didn't do this... it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. If it was, we wouldn't have fittings! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qs-PILTCbw)
  9. I should have taken more pictures throughout the process so I could have documented it better

Been using the heck out of the tub since the rebuild. Ended up going back to Bromine because it’s easier.

One issue though. The new jets and better plumbing puts our a ton of air... Now I have big bubbles on the top. Pretty sure it is the body oils (and lotions) causing it.

I’m keeping the sanitizers really high (add 1/3 cup of chlorine after each use and 1 whole cup once a week)... just cannot break down the oil fast enough.

Recommendations? Would a scum bug help?

148378bcfa7ca67a0dee1126a2b28216.jpg

Assuming your CH is high enough, then I’d try regular additions of Ahh-some using their maintenance dose procedure. Check the website or ask ahhsomeguy by PM for the secret recipe.

Bromine is fine. If that’s your sanitizer of choice, then you might want to see how much an ozonator for the tub would cost. Might be better than UV as the ozone will help to regenerate the spent bromide back into bromine.

I didn't have bubbles like that but a bunch of foam. Seems to happen after we have a load of people in it. I raise the FC to the high end of the range and scoop out the foam with a big aquarium fish net. If it is a nice sunny day I will open the cover for an hour or so.

Assuming your CH is high enough, then I’d try regular additions of Ahh-some using their maintenance dose procedure. Check the website or ask ahhsomeguy by PM for the secret recipe.

Bromine is fine. If that’s your sanitizer of choice, then you might want to see how much an ozonator for the tub would cost. Might be better than UV as the ozone will help to regenerate the spent bromide back into bromine.

Couldn’t find the maintenance dose procedure so I sent an email to the address on the website. Here’’s the answer...

I recommend that you get some Hot Tub Serum Total Maintenance. This is added weekly and works great. It is available at Amazon or at many hot tub dealers nationwide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Couldn’t find the maintenance dose procedure so I sent an email to the address on the website. Here’’s the answer...

I recommend that you get some Hot Tub Serum Total Maintenance. This is added weekly and works great. It is available at Amazon or at many hot tub dealers nationwide.

Worth a try. It’s similar to a “maintenance” formula of Ahh-some I saw once which I think was 2 teaspoons of ahh-some in 1 gallon of water and then you add a few ounces of that mixture to the hot tub weekly. My gut feeling is the hot tub serum stuff is just that - a very diluted version of Ahh-some.

Worth a try. We’ve had threads where people used very diluted ahh-some as a weekly treatment and the anecdotal evidence was that it seem to keep the water clearer and less foamy. No harm in buying & trying ....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.