Pentair Mastertemp 300 Issues E-01 and switches to SPA

Sep 17, 2017
Sewell/NJ
My Pentair MasterTemp 300 heater recently stopped working.

here are the symptoms:
  1. When I press Pool, it automatically switches to SPA (we do not own a spa!)
  2. The heater will start and run for maybe 30 seconds then stop with error code E-01
  3. Service heater light is on
  4. I've also seen where I turn it on and I hear a click (solenoid?) and then goes straight to E-01

What I've tried:
  1. Researched E-01, found a thermistor replacement and installed
  2. inspected the internals of the heater (nothing seems chewed on!)
  3. removed top to view back of control board
  4. i see LED7 and LED11 lit ....not sure what they indicate

I figured I'd consult the forum and maybe call Pentair before replacing anything else since things begin to get more expensive quickly!

i think it is odd that when I press "pool" is auto switches to Spa....And then the fact that I still get E-01 after replacing the thermistor with a new one...

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be happening?

thank you!!

Warranty period is over with on this unit but you could try. Bad control board most likely. Also, it really doesn't matter if you you use the pool or the spa button. What matters is that you can set the temp and it heats.

When you push the pool button on the heater, does it switch to spa immediately? Or does it do this after a while? If it is switching to spa after a while, I would hold off on a new board, put it into pool heat, then disconnect the touch pad from the board (ribbon cable plugged in to the board), and see how it acts for a while. If everything seems ok, then just replace the touch pad. Touch pad is 60~90 dollars, new board is 250~300. probably not returnable either (i know i wouldn't accept a return). Even if it is switching immediately, i wouldn't rule out the touch pad.

Do you still have the cover for the touch pad intact on the heater? Do you cover the touch pad after you use the touch pad? That cover is extremely important in keeping the UV rays off the touch pad. If left uncovered, you can kill a touch pad in as little as a season. Failed or failing touch pad displays the symptoms you are having.

How does your touch pad look? Depending on how old the heater is, a new touch pad may be a good investment either way...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.