Design software

Design should be free and part of the PB sales process. We sat down with ours for ages and worked through everything, making changes, adding, removing... Zero cost :)

I'm interested to hear if others have paid...

I believe OP is doing an owner build based on post history, so they would be doing the design themselves, or paying $600-$1200 for a company to do the design for them, then supplying that to their own contractors. I would ask if you really need a 3d for an OB. I get that it's nice to visualize things but the contractors just need the 2d which could be satisfied by a free cad program, right? I don't work with any design-side things though!

I do a lot of drafting/design work. 3D drawings are for nothing more than a visual for a client that would have otherwise had no idea what they are looking at.

Pool studio may be fun to play around with but it is completely unnecessary for construction documents and permitting. It is not a difficult program to learn but you'd have to ask yourself if its worth your time to learn the program, draw and make changes to your pool and then complete the documents....all while paying their monthly fee.

The other thing to consider if you pay a company for the design work, you get their knowledge and experience from designing hundreds, if not thousands of pools.

The drawings I submitted for my permit were only slightly better than you would expect if you scribbled on a napkin. The town was mostly concerned with the setback from the house, property lines, the height of fence, gate location and that the gate was "Self-Closing"

As someone doing an owner build that used pool studios, I will give my two cents. The subcontractors do not need a 3d rendering to do their jobs, but depending on the swimming pool design the subs will and do look at the 3d rendering. For example, a swimming pool with multiple elevations will be easier for the subs to construct with a 3d rendering since they can see what the project is supposed to look like (I do not think that a pool that is flat/level with the ground would get the same benefit.).

The primary advantages of designing the pool yourself is the money saved (assuming you cut off the monthly fees sooner rather than later) and that you can make changes over and over (After a while, a paid designer might get tired of making your tiny changes and tweaks). I played with elevations, stone choices, tile choices, depths, plaster color, etc. If you do it yourself, you can quickly decide if you like a particular look with your pool design.

Also, the advantage of a 3d rendering is the ability to visualize your project. I thought that I knew what I wanted when I started using pool studios but changed my mind multiple times after seeing the renderings.

The software is pretty easy to use. I am not a graphic designer or any type of computer expert, but I picked it up quickly. Pool Studios has videos on youtube that show you how to use the software.

The downside of pool studios is that after you cancel your subscription, you cannot modify your file or even open up your file to view your project.

OP has not answered yet. What are you trying to accomplish? Save your money...get the free version of sketchup. It's used by many professional designers. You'll love it.

I used AutoCAD for drawings, but I've seen "professional" pool builders use a pencil and graph paper. It's just a hole in the ground....

The only part I plan to hire is having a PE stamp it.

Hey Fellas, I"m trying to decide if I do it myself or pay for it. As far as sketchup, I work for Trimble so I have that program. I am looking for plans that show the electrical route thru the pool and also the pluming. I want to have some type of working log of materials needed. The funny thing is this, what may work for you may not work for someone else.

Hey Fellas, I"m trying to decide if I do it myself or pay for it. As far as sketchup, I work for Trimble so I have that program. I am looking for plans that show the electrical route thru the pool and also the pluming. I want to have some type of working log of materials needed. The funny thing is this, what may work for you may not work for someone else.

Let's see what you got.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.