Algae or something else?

pbitt

Jun 6, 2017
Huntley, Il
Hi everyone... had a new liner installed this year. I've kept all levels in check all summer, pump is ran daily, i havent been doing anything differently. It's been cooler so we haven't been able to use the pool as much, but I am getting these brownish looking drifts on the bottom for the past 2 weeks or so. I haven't had this problem previously all summer. What do you think it could be?

I can send pictures if someone tells me how. Can't seem to figure it out.

pbitt I am pretty sure people will want to see your chemistry results before they answer. Do you have a kit to take measurements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
40,400 inground gunnite, max depth 10-ft with 1.5 hp single speed Pentair, DE filter, well water, only one skimmer working, TAYLOR TK-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, Chester County, PA--OLD pool, but a beauty.

Here are the pics I have
da0732c46468f8d6c04d40099032823e.jpg
dfb6fbd47b19036ab19b3f35ede585e3.jpg

Yes, I've been using the Tf-100 kit... my results are as follows...

pH - 7.5
FC - 4.5 added bleach after test
CC - 0
TA - 170
CYA - 40
CH - 100

To add a photo click on the reply arrow (curved arrow) at the bottom right of this response. The new reply topic screen comes up with a little horizontal menu showing a camera, a grey square with two white mountains and a paper clip. If you click on the camera you should be able to take a picture that transfers directly into your message. If you click the white mountains it should bring you to your photo cache where you can select a photo to include. I am working from a Tapatalk app so that is how it works for me. If you are working on a computer in your browser it may be different but look for these symbols. I will go online to help if you need it! However likely the chemistry results will attract the attention of some of the very knowledgeable people who are administrators for TFP. Good luck with it all!!

40,400 inground gunnite, max depth 10-ft with 1.5 hp single speed Pentair, DE filter, well water, only one skimmer working, TAYLOR TK-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, Chester County, PA--OLD pool, but a beauty.

To add a photo click on the reply arrow (curved arrow) at the bottom right of this response. The new reply topic screen comes up with a little horizontal menu showing a camera, a grey square with two white mountains and a paper clip. If you click on the camera you should be able to take a picture that transfers directly into your message. If you click the white mountains it should bring you to your photo cache where you can select a photo to include. I am working from a Tapatalk app so that is how it works for me. If you are working on a computer in your browser it may be different but look for these symbols. I will go online to help if you need it! However likely the chemistry results will attract the attention of some of the very knowledgeable people who are administrators for TFP. Good luck with it all!!

Thank you Hidden, I think I got it up above? Are you able to see those pictures?

Thank you Hidden, I think I got it up above? Are you able to see those pictures?

Yes!! Good work!!! I agree that it looks like algae...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No real definitive way to tell that's practical. Maybe send a sample to a lab somewhere. A SLAM should be safe for any good quality liner.

I'm really sure that it's mustard algae.

Is there any way to tell for sure? I have a new liner and don't want to SLAM unless I have to
You have visible algae, the pool needs to be SLAMmed. The SLAM levels that are recommended will not effect your liner.

It's not disappearing when you brush, it is being broken up and dispersed into the water. Algae cells are microscopic, and once you can see them clumping together you have thousands if not millions of cells. It will only get worse as they reproduce faster than they are killed.

No mercy, SLAM the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.