Algae problem

Jul 27, 2017
Clute, TX
I am a first time pool owner and I have no clue how to care for the pool when it comes to all the chemicals. I would like to try the bleach and baking soda, etc. but I don't know how much to use. I keep adding pool chlorine but the test always says that I don't have any chlorine in the pool. The water is clear and you can see the bottom of the pool but algae is starting to grow AGAIN! I shock it and vacuum it but I obviously can't get the levels correct because I keep having algae problems. Test strip shows CA-0, TA-80, pH-6.8, FC-0, TC-0.5, TH-100. I need some education, so any advice would be appreciated. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! :| Thanks in advance.

Becky, welcome :handwave:

I would take a few minutes and read some PoolSchool guides found up at the top of the page. Start with this one--> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

"Guess-Strips" stink at accuracy, or just give you a range which isn't all that helpful. Order the TF-100 Test kit from TFTestkits.net today and you should have it by midweek. We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Until you get the test kit, add a gallon of *plain, unscented, non-thickened* household bleach from the laundry aisle to the pool each day and make sure it mixes in good with the pump on. Brush your pool daily also.

We'll help you clear this mess up once we have reliable test results to work on.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.