Algae and no free chlorine registering

Aug 17, 2017
Plano, TX
New member here. What I've read on this forum suggests a lot of smart people willing to help others and explain things.

The background on my issue is lengthy, but the bottom line is I can not get the DPD chlorine test to show any color. I've neglected the water chemistry this year due primarily to heavy work load, but the kids were adding tablets. Algae showed up a couple weeks ago and the missus was treating with Yellow Out, following the directions. However, even after shocking with hypochlorite, I can't get any chlorine to register...just ends up clear. The pH and alkalinity are a little low, and I've been adding pH Up to correct, but not there yet. Alkalinity is about 50 ppm. The pool did clear up after treatment and brushing. The local pool store said the chemistry looked good except for low chlorine: CYA, phosphates, calcium; they even said alkalinity and pH were within range.

I'm a DIYer and like to understand things, so I've been researching and found good information on TFPC. A possibility is that organics are consuming the chlorine, which makes sense considering the algae in the pool. So how much chlorine to get balanced again? I tried a "bucket test" described on TFPC: I put 3 gallons of water in a bucket and started adding Clorox Performance (8.3% sodium hypochlorite) two ounces at a time. Well, after 14oz, chlorine was still not registering and I abandoned. Later, I decided to check "total chlorine" using a R-3 (from an older test kit), and WHAM! deep burgundy!

I need to make good measurements to diagnose this - so I've ordered a TF-100 +XL kit based on TFPC info. But that won't get here until next week. I'll try to get measurements from the pool store when I can - got home too late tonight.

The algae has now come back, too. Yellow-green growing on the walls and floor.

I would like to start moving in the right direction, but I've got too many questions. Biggest question is why am I not getting any color in the chlorine test? Is it because the test chemicals are "bad" or are contaminants actually consuming the chlorine? If that is the case, then why no response with the bucket test?

Could my granular chlorine have lost its potency? It has been a round a few years and is rather compacted. It's stored in a big plastic chest with other chemicals, including muriatic acid.

Thanks for any guidance.

Welcome to the forum - good decision on ordering a TF100.

I want to confirm that you used Yellow Out. Any other pool store potions, algaecides, etc?

Yellow out creates ammonia in your pool. It then takes large amounts of chlorine to eradicate the ammonia. You most likely have not added enough chlorine yet to kill it.

Without a test kit it is nearly impossible to attack this.

You can try blindly adding chlorine 2 gallons at a time until it shows up on you current tester. Then back off to 1 gallon per day chlorine until you get your test kit. Then post up results and we can provide guidance on a plan forward.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - do not store the powdered chlorine (Cal Hypo?) near the muriatic acid. They do not play nice together and can create a toxic cloud. Store your acid outside in a plastic trash can or other receptacle away from metal objects.

Do not continue using the powdered chlorine for now. Use liquid chlorine only. Or bleach. Non scented, non splashless, plain bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.