15 x 30 AG pool, can I put the skimmer on the end?

Jul 23, 2016
Snowflake AZ
Where the pool is going to be in the yard, the end of the oval will be where a previous owner had a hot tub. It would be very convenient if I could put the filter right there by the electrical box that once fed the hot tub, but I intuitively feel that maybe having the skimmer on the end of the oval isn't the best spot. Is there a typical recommendation for where the skimmer and return should be on the oval, or does that not matter?

Thanks!

By the way, this is going to be a DIY install, not by choice, but because I haven't found a single pool installer within 100 miles of our new home. We do know of a guy who installed his own AG pool, and says he'll help, but the amount of help he'll be sort of depends how similar his pool project was to what I'm doing.

When I had my 18 x 33 installed professionally I had asked to have the skimmer on the end of the oval. The guy told me where he had it was the farthest it could go towards the end. I then checked my pool manual and it actually had a note about not installing the skimmer on the end so the guy was right. Not sure if this is just for my model because it has the different panel for the skimmer or if that is for every oval.

This is where mine is. It is the first panel at the start of the curve.
19225044_10155417734762813_1769822390490281849_n.jpg

Oh and in my case I would not want the skimmer and return any farther along the straight because I would imagine the end of the pool would get even less movement. At the moment I have a very obvious dead zone where bugs and dirt collect on the bottom.

20264790_10155548813902813_2033728109422517176_n.jpg

Well now everybody has me thinking. We have significant winds here just about every afternoon. Should I put the skimmer and return on the end away from the prevailing wind, where the wind will likely push any bugs and debris? That's exactly opposite from the spot where the power is. Should I just run a buried wire from that existing electrical box to where the skimmer makes the most sense?

It can be helpful to have it downwind but certainly not necessary so I would not run the electrical for that reason alone. That's a long 2 foot deep trench you'll need to dig and not worth the tradeoff of having the wind help. The pump will suck debris into it. I have a skimmer on the opposite side of the primary wind direction (wind blows away from skimmer) and it collects just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.