OB in NW Las Vegas- Open book here and on a budget

Fun surprise today. Bed time around here is about noon. 1145 hours the jackhammer starts! DOH! They are taking out a 2'x60' run of concrete for gas and electric. About noon another truck shows up.
IMG_0884.JPG
I have equipment. (Ignore the Halloween junk)
Had to take one of the Pentair VS pumps inside just to see what $1,000.00 looks like. Pretty cool.

So no :sleep: for you today! Poor thing but at least they were working on the pool. Too bad they did not plan ahead so they would not have to take out but.....

So does $1000 look pretty??

Oh and we REALLY need to hear more about that prank! You can't drop that in there and not tell the whole story!!!!

Kim:kim:

So no :sleep: for you today! Poor thing but at least they were working on the pool. Too bad they did not plan ahead so they would not have to take out but.....

So does $1000 look pretty??

Oh and we REALLY need to hear more about that prank! You can't drop that in there and not tell the whole story!!!!

Kim,
Would much rather watch progress than sleep. The pump was fun to play with. Will be much more fun when I can push a button and it starts the spa.
My dog thinks I'm crazy. I told him all about the pump and why it was worth the extra $500.00. Wife has taught him to give me the "You're an idiot" stare. I don't appreciate it.
No prank in the picture. Just caught Halloween junk in the photo. I guess it's time to finally start cleaning garage.

The most amazing thing happened yesterday morning. First I made my first trip of the week to the City building department. My project plans were approved and ready to be permitted. They did let me know that I should not have shown up expecting to get my permits because they had not sent a notification to me indicating that the permits were ready. Their major concern was that they had not yet "collated" the pages. After about 10 minutes of discussion they figured out that someone could actually pick up a bundle of plans and remove mine from the stack. When the discussion finally stopped and the work began it took them about 1.5 minutes to "collate" my plans. Bottom line is I entered the city building at 7am and was gone with permits at about 7:45am. Ready to build a pool!

Now the amazing part- During my 20 minute drive home, the Pool Fairy must have shown up.
IMG_0898.jpgIMG_0897.jpgIMG_0892.jpgIMG_0895.jpg

Hopefully some electric this week, inspection and gunite next week.

LOL now you know that collating is hard work and takes a long time to do! What nerve you have thinking you can just show up and pick them up before they called you :shock: hehe

I am betting the Pool Fairy has a cell phone! She sure had some fast acting fairy dust! SWEET!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pre-Gunite inspection today. City inspector had a number of concerns that are fairly self explanatory.
1. Gas line to fire feature needs a "permanent open vent".
2. Fire feature needs a gas shut off valve.
3. Spa needs excavated back a bit more to provide 3" clearance from rebar to shotcrete.
Easy enough to fix and I'll chalk this up to some amateur trying to do the owner/ builder deal.

Questions for you construction experts:
1. Inspector felt the engineering plan needs clarification on vertical spacing of rebar. (Will attach a photo. Upper right corner of photo shows "3# 4 bar continous typical around perimeter". Inspector was unsure if this is supposed to be #3 or #4 rebar.) A couple of other places on the engineering plan has " 3# 4" or "4# 3" noted.
2. Inspector couldn't understand why pool rebar is not as dense at deep end of pool, compared to vertical spacing. (will attach another photo). The plans look fairly clear to me that the 3" and 6" on center runs 3' past the radius. This rebar looks looks correct to me according to plans.
3. Inspector is concerned with the two palm trees near the pool. He wants documentation from the engineer that the engineering is sufficient for loads exerted by the trees. These are pre-existing palm trees that I intend to keep if possible. Palm trees will be 4' from waterline. Do any of you have concerns about the palm trees.

Please ignore my lack of construction and engineering terminology. Hope my questions can be understood.

I am still enjoying this process of owner/ build and would not do it different. Thanks once again for all of the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 330
Better photo of rebar that the inspector is concerned about. He doesn't understand why 3" on center but standard 12" on pool floor. Plans appear to require extra rebar 3' beyond radius only.

- - - Updated - - -

I have some ideas but they are only from my gut. I am going to ask someone to take a peek and see what he thinks. Hold on a bit while he gets back with us.

You are a champ Kim. Thanks a ton.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 327
Usually the transition from the shallow end to the deep end is #3 @ 6" O.C. I don't see that in the photos but maybe your engineering doesn't require it?

I don't see the issue with the vertical rebar especially since it's obviously 3" O.C. :scratch:

Callouts for rebar are always the number of bars and then the size of the bar. I always will write it out as "(3)#4 bars at top of bond beam" so there's no confusion but yours seems clear to me...

I doubt the palm trees were taken into account but there's not much you can do to fight it anyway. Gotta make the guy happy.
Welcome to life with inspectors! Sounds like you got a good one!

Not much to update. New engineering plans for the palm trees. A bunch of extra rebar. The engineer has been golden. Has done a bunch of extra work. 100% recommend on the engineer for other Vegas builders.
Rebar work this week, more plumbing scheduled to fix inspection fails. I won't complain at all about other subs that I have used. A couple of problems were caused by the subs and they have been very responsive in fixing issues. Other issues were not really issues and just requires an explanation to the City inspector. (Gas shut off valve not installed.......Yes it was. Walked 5 more feet and look on the other side of the gas line)
City of Las Vegas seems to be getting very picky on a few different issues. Other Vegas owner/builds experiencing City issues also. I'll let them chime in.
I am still 100% on board for owner/build in Vegas. Patience is a virtue. (And I'm working on it.)

Usually the transition from the shallow end to the deep end is #3 @ 6" O.C. I don't see that in the photos but maybe your engineering doesn't require it?

I don't see the issue with the vertical rebar especially since it's obviously 3" O.C. :scratch:

Callouts for rebar are always the number of bars and then the size of the bar. I always will write it out as "(3)#4 bars at top of bond beam" so there's no confusion but yours seems clear to me...

I doubt the palm trees were taken into account but there's not much you can do to fight it anyway. Gotta make the guy happy.
Welcome to life with inspectors! Sounds like you got a good one!
Thanks again for your expertise. Hope we don't lose you when you exit the pool building business.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.