recommend good automation controls

Jun 13, 2017
Metairie, LA
Getting board programmed this week(Haywood Prologic). Have a salt water pool with spa, deck jets, bubblers with pentair lights. Equipment is Polaris with pentair booster pump , Pentair superflo variable speed pump, Pentair clean and clear plus filter, pentair salt cell and sta-rite heater(made by pentair). Looking for what commands everyone has set up or commands they wish they would hve programmed.

I asked the same question and my pool builder insist Haywood can be programmed to do everything Pentair can. Being that this is my first pool I don't know if he is right or not so any thoughts would be appreciated. My biggest concern is with the variable speed pump. Most threads I have found say the prologic drastically reduces its functionality but since I'm new to this I don't really know what that means or if it will matter. I have read you can control speeds with relays my box has 8. Not all sure what other things use them.

isu,

The Pentair SuperFlo VS is not controlled via a serial cable like most VS pumps. Pentair automation was designed to control the IntelliFlo pump. Here is an example of the difference...

With the IntelliFlo, you can tell the automation system to increase or decrease the pumps speed by 10 RPM at anytime from inside your house... Simple and perfect!!!

With the SuperFlo, and using any automation system, including Pentair... you have to physically go outside and set the speed you want at the pump, if it is different than one of the pre-programmed speeds. When controlled by automation, the speed that the pump runs is selected by a set of 4 relays inside the automation system. So, instead of having a true VS pump, you end up with a clunky 4 speed system. The SuperFlo was not really designed with automation in mind.

I also don't think that the ProLogic can control the Pentair SWCG.. I don't see anything in the manual that says it can.

I suggest you go back to your Pool Builder and have him show you a system configured like yours that is running... Ask to talk with the guy that installs the systems...

The first rule of automation is to make sure that everything can communicate together. Normally this means the same brand of pump, SWCG and automation system. Even that is often not enough, as is proven by the inability of Pentair to control their own SuperFlo pump.

Sorry for the bad news, but better to take care of this issue now than later.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the response Jim. However since the pump I have doesn't work well with any automation and that was my largest concern it seems like I'm just going to be stuck manually working the pump. Obviously I will set three or four speed's via relays which will be helpful but it won't be truly automated. Let me ask a ridiculous question How often does one really need to tinker with the RPMs by 10 or 20 at a time? I would assume by setting four or so speeds via relays 95% of all situations would be covered. Am I missing something? Like I said I'm new to this and really trying to understand everything.

Isu,

I guess my point was you can adjust the pump speed to whatever value you want at any time you want, without going out to the pump.

I was under the impression that this was new build... I would not buy a SuperFlo to use with an automation system, but if you already own the SuperFlo, then of course it makes sense to go with whatever works. We have a lot of SuperFlo users that use the relay system to control their pump speeds.

And you are correct, once you get your 3 or 4 speeds set, you will not have to change them very often, if at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim thanks again. It is a new build but unfortunately it went live today. As such I don't think my builder will swap out the pumps. Unfortunately it wasn't until yesterday I did my research that showed the shortfalls of pairing Hayward and Pentair equipment. Chalk it up to being new at this.

Jim I have one more question if the Haywood cannot control the Pentair salt cell what is the downside to this?

If the automatic controls won't talk to your Pentair equipment, I would have the pool builder put in something that does work together. Do it now, since it's the first day. I don't see why he would put in Hayward controller. Remind him you questioned this, and just be nice, but firm.

Isu,

The same as with the pump... You will have to make all adjustments at the cell itself..

Please let us know how this all works out for you when done..

If it works great it would be good feedback to know... If not so good, it might help others...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Is this a new pool build? If so, I really don't understand this builder. All the builders I know choose one brand over the other and don't usually mix and max like this.

The heater is an irrelevant piece of equipment as you are either turning it on or off and setting temp. The salt cell, and pump are items that you can change how they perform within the automation system. Being you have Pentair, that should have been the only choice to go with for automation.

I'll be real curious if these work as they should because I have my doubts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys here is the list of automation commands I have come up with anything I missing?

Hot Tub On Heat On, Blower On, Pump on Needed Speed
Hot Tub Off
Heat Pool OnHeat Full Pool
Heat Pool Off
All Lights On
All Lights Off
All Light Color Change
Change Pool Light Color
Change Spa Light Color
Spitters On
Spitters Off
Pump On
Pump Off
Change Pump SpeedLow, Medium, High
Hot Tub Blower On
Hot Tub Blower Off
Polaris On
Polaris Off
Polaris Schedule
Night time Schedule
Nighttime modeAll Lights on, Spitters on, Bubbler on.
Control Salt Cell

Jim my pool vendor finally agreed to install the pentair easy touch 8 with screen logic control panel so my last question is how big of a deal is it that I have a superflo vs pump is there anyway to make it work together via adapters? I assume schedules will handle most of the pumps duties anyway but am trying to determine how big on an inconvenience it will be to not have the intelliflo.

Isu,

Since this is a new build, I would think it would be up to the pool builder to make everything work together. I'd make him figure out how he can change the pump speeds..

Maybe, if your lucky he will realize it is not worth the extra effort and just install the IntelliFlo.. :p

If not, since you have the ET 8 you should have three or four spare relays that can be used to change speeds.

Here is a screen shot of my pump page... To change speeds I just click an icon up or down...

dbtgallery.php

With the SuperFlo you will just have to select the circuit you want to use and the pump will go to that set speed.. Not all that bad, just not how it was designed. To actually change the preprogrammed speed, you will have to use the pump's control panel.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would not accept equipment that does not work together.
If your PB is a reputable company, he will swap the pump for the correct one.
Even if you have to pay a small price difference, it would be worth it long term.

As for speed adjustments, remember that filter cleanliness and age will change the flow rate thru it and therefore the RPM of the pump to maintain consistent results thru bubblers, shooters, waterfalls, etc.

Jim,

One more question as I don't really know much about how this whole process. In order to use additional relays does additional wiring need to be done from the pump to each relay or can all this be done through automation only? I ask because i'm meeting with a programmer today but he advised he does programming only and no wiring.

Jim,

Another question. I should be getting the pump wired this week and wanted some further clarification. If I understand how this works, the pump has 3 programmable speeds. My pump is currently programmed for 3000 rpm's for 5 hours, 2000 rpm's for 6 hours and 1500 rpm's for 13 hours. I assume the cable is wired into a relay for each of these programmable speeds. My first question is If I want to use the 2000 rpm's outside of the set schedule and I use the programmed auxiliary to activate the speed does that mean the command will exist for 6 hours like it is programmed on the pump? Second, will the pump default back to the normal set schedule at some point or do I have to manually reset somehow. Third, how do you program the original speed you have marked pool in your system. My understanding is you can only program the Superflo for 3 schedules, 1,2, & 3. My last question is I assume to make this work you use the intelliflo settings in the Pentair Automation panel, seems to be the only place you could set this up. Does it matter which one you choose, I see 3 options, Intellifo VF, Intelliflo VS & Intelliflo VSF?

Jim,

Another question. I should be getting the pump wired this week and wanted some further clarification. If I understand how this works, the pump has 3 programmable speeds. My pump is currently programmed for 3000 rpm's for 5 hours, 2000 rpm's for 6 hours and 1500 rpm's for 13 hours. I assume the cable is wired into a relay for each of these programmable speeds.

My first question is If I want to use the 2000 rpm's outside of the set schedule and I use the programmed auxiliary to activate the speed does that mean the command will exist for 6 hours like it is programmed on the pump?

If you schedule something it will run for the start time you schedule, until the stop time you schedule.

Second, will the pump default back to the normal set schedule at some point or do I have to manually reset somehow.

If you just turn it on, it will run until you turn it off or until the egg timer resets it (Default is 12 hours, but can be adjusted)

Third, how do you program the original speed you have marked pool in your system. My understanding is you can only program the Superflo for 3 schedules, 1,2, & 3.

You can't because you have the SuperFlo.. this is my whole point about needed the IntelliFlo. It is designed to work with ScreenLogic and your EasyTouch.

My last question is I assume to make this work you use the intelliflo settings in the Pentair Automation panel, seems to be the only place you could set this up. Does it matter which one you choose, I see 3 options, Intellifo VF, Intelliflo VS & Intelliflo VSF?

You would not chose any pump as your system will operate as if you only had a single speed pump.. This is because it is a SuperFlo and not the IntelliFlo.....

Isu,

You would be so much better if you had your pool builder install an IntelliFlo even if you had to pay him more.... As I have already stated, the SuperFlo was not designed to be controlled by automation...

That said.. on to your questions... see above in red..

edit.. I am not sure what would happen if you selected "IntelliFlo VS" without actually having that pump. I suspect that it would present the window that I show below and allow you to set a speed, but obviously it will not actually tell the pump to run at that speed. But without the IntelliFlo, the purpose of the screen no longer makes any sense...

dbtgallery.php

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I guess I am little confused because somewhere earlier you mentioned that although not the intent with the communication cable the Superflo could be used a a clunky four speed. I'm confused as to where the 4th speed would come from since there are only 3 programmable speeds on the pump. My assumption is the relay marked pool would be only On/Off and the three relays would trigger presets 1,2,3.

Isu,

Please look at page five of the SuperFlo manual.. It explains how to set up the relays and how to get four speeds.. They would be your three preset speeds plus the "clean" speed.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.